Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the wheels and tires section: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/tpms-or-no-259082.html

Thean realized, it would be better to ask here since JK are the only ones with the system.

I hope to place an order on discounttiredirect.com tomorrow and I'm torn on the decision to order with new TPMS sensors (more $$$) or to order without and just disable the warning.

I think I should need a ProCal or the like anyway since I will go up a bit in tire size and use it to turn off TPMS. Yes? No? Shut up new guy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I personally like having the sensors there and working. It's nice to be able to lazily check my tire pressure from the dash, and in my wife's car they caught a tire that picked up a chunk of razor blade and started deflating less than 12 hours after I had just checked all her tires and they were good. The catch by the system saved her from a potential blowout at speed.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
You don't need new sensors with the new wheels. They can move your current ones to the new ones but you will need the new valve stem pieces. There not much money, maybe about $15 per wheel. You can forgo it entirely and buy a pro cal $150.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need new sensors with the new wheels. They can move your current ones to the new ones but you will need the new valve stem pieces. There not much money, maybe about $15 per wheel. You can forgo it entirely and buy a pro cal $150.
Yeah, I was thinking this as well, but by the time I buy the new "rebuild" pieces for each wheel and have a local shop mount and install the price difference between that and having discount tire mount the new sensors is basically a wash.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I ordered the FlashCal from Superchips and simply adjusted the TPMS for 27 PSI that I run the tires at on the street. (35x12.50x17).

I could also set it to zero - effectively disabling them. Just curious why you don't buy the tires locally? Are you saving that much?

I looked online but by the time I paid shipping, balance, mounting, etc...it was just as much ordering them from tire rack.

If this is a Daily driver and never goes off road get the sensors. If you wheel FlashCal is nice to adjust the PSI for the sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I ordered a Procal to set my new tire size and turned the TPMS off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
TPMS and balancing add about $300 bucks to your wheels/ tire combo on DTD. I paid about the same to have everything mounted/balanced locally ( w/TPMS ). If you've got a local shop that you trust, give them your money. Otherwise, write the check, do it right the first time and don't sweat a few bucks one way or the other. You always regret going cheap on a car you dig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts