Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has put on tire without the TPMS, and what happens? I don't want some idiot lite and gong screaming at me. What did you do, or did you pay to install on new tires? I want to find out before they say it voided the warranty.

:lmao:no fair laughing if I have it wrong, says my wife......:happyyes:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
What happens? You get the light on that will not go out. Your choice if you wish to ignore it, nothing bad will happen except the light.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to turn it off. I hate ignoring warnings and my dash/cockpit . can it be shutoff by computer, or superchip?

Thank you for your quick response

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Also, the TPMS are installed on the wheels, not the tires. New tires won't break TPMS or require new sensors, but new wheels will need the TPMS sensors moved over. Not a big deal unless you buy a set of wheels with tires already mounted. :)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Do a lot of people run with the sensors off? I always thought that you can never turn them totally off.......guess I was wrong.

So can I derail the thread a minute? I currently have the old sensors in my wheels now. When my new 2015 comes in I plan to move my wheels/tires over to the new Jeep and I thought I would have to swap the sensors with new ones. After reading this thread I now know I really don't have to do that. Maybe it's easier and cheaper to just get a Procal/Flashcal and program the TPMS out all together? Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Do a lot of people run with the sensors off? I always thought that you can never turn them totally off.......guess I was wrong.

So can I derail the thread a minute? I currently have the old sensors in my wheels now. When my new 2015 comes in I plan to move my wheels/tires over to the new Jeep and I thought I would have to swap the sensors with new ones. After reading this thread I now know I really don't have to do that. Maybe it's easier and cheaper to just get a Procal/Flashcal and program the TPMS out all together? Thoughts?
With a Procal it can be set to "0" which turns the TPMS off. I've had mine off for a few years. The sensors don't actually get shut off, it's the TPMS that there's a program change that's why you can run without sensors if you want and with the system set to zero it will be off. However, without sensors pressure adjustments can't be made. It's the same if you have sensors in the wheels that are a different frequency. TPMS can be turned off, but no pressure adjustments can be made because the system can't read the sensors. If you prefer not having TPMS there's no reason to buy sensors. Just get the Procal or Flashcal.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
With a Procal it can be set to "0" which turns the TPMS off. I've had mine off for a few years. The sensors don't actually get shut off, it's the TPMS that there's a program change that's why you can run without sensors if you want and with the system set to zero it will be off. However, without sensors pressure adjustments can't be made. It's the same if you have sensors in the wheels that are a different frequency. TPMS can be turned off, but no pressure adjustments can be made because the system can't read the sensors. If you prefer not having TPMS there's no reason to buy sensors. Just get the Procal or Flashcal.
Understood. That's my issue. If I move my wheel/tire package (currently on my 2010) over to my 2015 the sensors in them are the old frequency and thus will not be readable in the new Jeep. So my options are either to buy a Procal or Flashcal and turn them off (set to 0) or to actually replace the old TPMS sensors with the new ones. If I don't replace the sensors I understand I won't be able to adjust pressure levels because they won't be read at all by the 2015.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I like the idea of getting an idiot light if a tire is low/flat and I don't know about it, so I used my Procal to set the computer so that the light only comes on if the pressure is below 24Lbs.. So the light comes on if I've aired-down while i'm wheeling, but that's ok because I know about it.. but if i'm mall crawling and the light pops on, I know there is a problem.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Walker, I never thought of that, what would you set the number to?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Who has put on tire without the TPMS, and what happens? I don't want some idiot lite and gong screaming at me. What did you do, or did you pay to install on new tires? I want to find out before they say it voided the warranty.

I cannot say what happens on other specific MYs, but on my 2013 JKU I switch between winter tires, summer tires, and off road tires with only the summer tires having the TPMS sensors.

When switching from tires with the sensors to the tires without them I get a chime and light on the instrument panel at start up and then after a few kilometers and a start the light goes out and I no longer get the chime. When the tires without sensors are mounted the EVIC shows dashes instead of numbers for the tire pressure. It is similar when switching to the tires with sensors; chime and light at start up and then after a few kilometers (around 7 or so) the light goes out and I can read the pressures in the EVIC.

This is not in the least annoying, rather, it just comfirms that the systems are functional.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cannot say what happens on other specific MYs, but on my 2013 JKU I switch between winter tires, summer tires, and off road tires with only the summer tires having the TPMS sensors.

When switching from tires with the sensors to the tires without them I get a chime and light on the instrument panel at start up and then after a few kilometers and a start the light goes out and I no longer get the chime. When the tires without sensors are mounted the EVIC shows dashes instead of numbers for the tire pressure. It is similar when switching to the tires with sensors; chime and light at start up and then after a few kilometers (around 7 or so) the light goes out and I can read the pressures in the EVIC.

This is not in the least annoying, rather, it just comfirms that the systems are functional.
Thank you ,That Jeep Guy, Good info, as long as the annunciator doesn't keep going off everytime I drive.... :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Thank you ,That Jeep Guy, Good info, as long as the annunciator doesn't keep going off everytime I drive.... :beerdrinking:
If you don't have sensors or you have the incorrect frequency, the light will always be on. It will only "ding" upon each start up.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts

The programmers are the best way to deal with the light and the "gong" if you don't have TMPS. The light on the dash annoys me so I would program it off, but it won't hurt anything if you leave it on. Let me know if you'd like a price on a Tuner and I'll get you set up!

-Ryan

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The programmers are the best way to deal with the light and the "gong" if you don't have TMPS. The light on the dash annoys me so I would program it off, but it won't hurt anything if you leave it on. Let me know if you'd like a price on a Tuner and I'll get you set up!

-Ryan
Ryan, A good Irish name that.. Does using the tuner VOID your warranty:tomatoes:?

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you don't have sensors or you have the incorrect frequency, the light will always be on. It will only "ding" upon each start up.
As stated, the info I gave pertains to my MY13 JKU. After the swap to sensorless tires I have a chime and a light at the first start up only. It is, of course, possible that the fact that I do not have an NAS Jeep makes a difference; but I am doubtful about that. All winter I run without sensors (a matter of finance mostly) without a light and all of July I run my terrain tires (I have vacation the whole of July each year) and I have no light on the dash now. I would be interested to hear from others with the NAS Wranglers and from those Wrangler owners in Europe and elswhere regarding their experience in this matter to see if there is some difference.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
As stated, the info I gave pertains to my MY13 JKU. After the swap to sensorless tires I have a chime and a light at the first start up only. It is, of course, possible that the fact that I do not have an NAS Jeep makes a difference; but I am doubtful about that. All winter I run without sensors (a matter of finance mostly) without a light and all of July I run my terrain tires (I have vacation the whole of July each year) and I have no light on the dash now. I would be interested to hear from others with the NAS Wranglers and from those Wrangler owners in Europe and elswhere regarding their experience in this matter to see if there is some difference.
There has to be a difference because if there wasn't, no one in the US or Canada would have to purchase a Procal or Flashcal in order to re-set the TPMS threshold or turn it off in order to get rid of the TPMS light. Using a Procal was the only way that I and a lot of others have been able to shut down the light.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Ryan, A good Irish name that.. Does using the tuner VOID your warranty:tomatoes:?
It is indeed!

The tuner shouldn't void your warranty. If you were concerned about that you can always flash the computer back to stock before service. I don't know if the tuner leaves bread crumbs in the computer to tattle-tail on you, but I haven't heard of that being an issue in the past.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Like everyone said you can easily run without TPMS sensors and turn off the light with a Procal. Cars ran for 100 years without them.

The only thing you need to worry about is legal ramifications if you are at cause for a collision and they find you vehicle didn't have the legally required sensors active.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts