Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there put on aftermarket wheels and tires on their rig and not put new TPMS sensors on? i would just assume not put them on my new rims unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You don't have to, however your dash light will come on (and a chirp). If you're changing tire sizes, get a procal for $150 and it will allow you to set the speedometer correctly and optionally turn off the annoying dash light.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
When going from my OEM wheels to my new setup via Discount Tire, I wanted to ditch the sensors and leave them in the old wheels. But DT won't mount wheels and tires without the sensors, so I have them in my new setup.

Plenty of people run without them. Just use an AEV ProCal to turn off the dash light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I absolutely hate TPMS. If you can't visually inspect and see that you need air in your tire then you probably shouldn't be driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ya'll thats what I was thinking. I did just buy a ProCal installing lift, wheels and tires next weekend. Anybody want to help? I have beer... I know it's not that hard to do. I installed a lift on my 72 a couple years ago. I then installed a lift on my Buddies 12 JK last spring.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
jcrafton said:
I absolutely hate TPMS. If you can't visually inspect and see that you need air in your tire then you probably shouldn't be driving.
My counter to this is about 6 months ago my wife left for work on a Monday morning, after I danger heroic, rotated tires, and visually inspected her tires and checked them with a huge, everything was fine. She calls me and says after dropping off our son the tire pressure light came on. Turns out she ran over something and created a leak without knowing it. Because the light came on, she caught it and I was able to put her spare on before she kept driving and I got low enough to cause a serious situation.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My counter to this is about 6 months ago my wife left for work on a Monday morning, after I danger heroic, rotated tires, and visually inspected her tires and checked them with a huge, everything was fine. She calls me and says after dropping off our son the tire pressure light came on. Turns out she ran over something and created a leak without knowing it. Because the light came on, she caught it and I was able to put her spare on before she kept driving and I got low enough to cause a serious situation.
Its all about perspective... Great point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I changed out my tires/rims, and they put the sensors in. This morning the light goes off and chirps. I pull over, no problems. Drive the rest of the way to work and check again.......still no problem. Pull out air gauge........all correct. Must be bad sensor.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The TPMS saved me a couple times. I think it is unfair to say, if you can't inspect your tires you shouldn't be driving, Actually it is a pretty rude comment. If your driving and run over something while driving it is hard to inspect the tire while moving down the road. You can run without them but they are a very good system in most cases to catch a slow leak early which can be the difference with a new tire from having to buy a new tire or saving a new tire from damage. They are usually easily switched out and can still be turned off later with Pro Cal or Superchips if needed.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I like the tpms on my 13. It tells you what the pressure is on each tire so I know exactly where they're at at all times. I don't even have to get out my gauge and go around to each tire to know. Wow, I feel so dumb. :rolleyes:

They are extremely accurate & update pretty much immediately, I played with it last week airing down. I like it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Would your rather have the sensors tell u your tires are low, or have to check them on a regular basis? What happens when you forget and you blow out a tire at high speeds because u didnt check ? My vote is yes......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, some of you people are sensitive. I stated my opinion that I didn't like them and it's a rude comment? I'm sure that TPMS helps out on the road but when the Jeep is offroad, inflating and deflating on purpose, they can be a pain in the arse. Also, I hate that fact that it is a law that they have to be installed on all 2006 and newer vehicles. The way I read the law, if your vehicle comes with TPMS and you get new wheels (aftermarket) and have them installed at a commercial business (Discount Tire, Pep Boys etc) they have to install the TPMS in the new wheels. If the TPMS from your factory wheels do not fit the new wheels, you have to buy new ones before that business will install the new wheels. I just find that as a hassle. Sorry if I offended some with my perspective.

·
Registered
531 Posts
TPMS should be used as an additional tool, you obviously should always visually inspect your tires before driving but I like the fact that I can see what psi my tires are at while driving. If the Jeep didn't have TPMS I would never retrofit but since it came with the truck just go with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TPMS should be used as an additional tool, you obviously should always visually inspect your tires before driving but I like the fact that I can see what psi my tires are at while driving. If the Jeep didn't have TPMS I would never retrofit but since it came with the truck just go with it.

I won't debate this post, I can see the advantage in that. The TPMS I have dealt with does not show the pressures, just a light and a chirp when your pressure is low (unless there is a misreading or bad sensor :doh:).

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
What a narrow minded post.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Most programmers allow you to just lower the TPMS setting, so you still have the feature, but you can run whatever psi you want without the light and chime.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It takes 8 to 10 psi drop in pressure for the TPMS light to come on. So tire pressure should still be checked regularly. I like it for my DD but if i was airing up and down a lot ti would be a pain!

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's not always what you say but the way you say it. Anyway, I agree that the TPMS is worth having on a vehicle for those unexpected times when we run over something and our tires start to air down before we get a chance to look our Jeeps over. I try and check my tire pressure whenever I fuel up but we all know life happens and things don't always go as planned. I got the ProCal to dial mine in where I wanted it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts