Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a tip for getting these F'n screws out of the TPS without rounding off the T20 torx bits (99 TJ 6 cyl)? I know they're thread locked in there but WTF!!

I've rounded 3 bits with nothing to show for it. I've sprayed it and I'm using 1/4 in drive torx bits. They're firmly seated in the head but I can just watch them bend as I try to loosen them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- first post here. I've searched tons of stuff and a lot of the returns are this site. Hopefully, someone can help me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not sure what kind you are using, so this may or may not apply, but maybe a better set of Torx sockets? All metals are not created equal and sometimes the more expensive sockets are in fact tougher/harder.

Oh, and I dont think theres a guy (or gal) on this forum that hasnt wondered who the hell thought all these Torx bolts on a machine made to get dirty, muddy and be reliable was a good idea. So all that said, welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:doh: 2002 Sport: I used a Crafstman (Sears) torx bit for my TPS removal. Before using the Sears bit, I rounded off a piece of crap bit also. I also aligned the bit with a small extension into the screw before attaching the ratchet to make sure it was seated. You need a little pressure to keep the torx bit from popping out as you unscrew it. My new TPS came with a fresh set of mounting screws. (OEM) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
x2 on the sears crafstman torx... they seem tougher than others I have tried.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I just did my TPS even tho I have the wrong one to go back in. I couldn't get the TPS off in the truck. I had to pull the throttle body off too. Then with it in my hand it came off without much of a fuse. In the truck you really can't get a good motion going with the torx's bit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. The only issue I have with going craftsman is that I relocated to PR and the closest sears is near San Juan. Is there a certain type of alloy or hardened steel that I should look for?

Thanks again for the replies...great site.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. After 5...count em...5 torx bits I finally got the screws out. I think they used JBWeld to put those things in. Anyway, once it was off I squirted it with contact cleaner and reinstalled it. No big changes there. I took it back off and soaked it in the contact fluid for about 3 or 4 hours this time and that was it. Amazing how touchy that sensor is. Saved $100 for now so I'm happy.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
362 Posts
if the torx has any play in it at all it will round off. make sure the right torx is used should not be any play at all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What oldman said is very true, you need to make sure your using the right size. I see people using too small torx bits all the time and yes it will mess up your bit or worse strip out your screw head. When your using a ratchet and torx bit on the larger screws counter torque and lots of pressure is a must.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts