Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out a few days ago and out of the blue I noticed my steering wheel wasn't centering when on a straight. It also started handling funny liked I had a flat. It felt kinda like it was gliding around the corners and I couldn't feel the road like I normally could. I stopped along the road and checked everything as well as possible but the weather was extremely bad so I waited to get it home in my garage. Well come to find out I drove it about 50 miles half on country roads and some on a freeway going about 65 with a disconnected trac bar. The bolt completely came out of the lower part and it's just hanging there. Don't know how safe that was. Anyway does anybody know what size bolt goes in the lower end of the front trac bar on a 98 tj sport 4.0. The answer might already be on here but I'm new here and not yet used to navigating this site. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It is 10mm X 1.5 pitch. Here is the one I bought and currently have installed:

Replacement Track Bar Bolt and Flag Nut

I believe it is sourced from ARP. MOPAR also has an extra strong version, I cannot find the part number at the moment.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
That should have a flag nut on it, so I don't know how it could have come off.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
That took a lot of force. That is a 10.9 bolt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know how it happened. Maybe off road but finally fell out. The nut was still there in the casing. I broke both front springs at the same time but that was a year ago. I was just driving on a snow covered county road and felt the steering go this time. Is the stock bolt a class 10.9?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was trying to disconnect the track bar from the axle and stripped the torx bolt and had to cut it off. Does anyone know if an easy out will get the rest of the bolt out? I am installing my first lift and its been a nightmare ugh!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
You may get lucky with an easy out. You may have to try and cut the back side of the bolt off as well. I would use PB blaster or similar before you try using the easy out.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I was trying to disconnect the track bar from the axle and stripped the torx bolt and had to cut it off. Does anyone know if an easy out will get the rest of the bolt out? I am installing my first lift and its been a nightmare ugh!
Buy yourself a map gas torch. It's one of the best investments I've ever made.

Second, I forget how it's attached, but if there is a nut on the other side of that torx bolt, grind the head off and hammer the bolt through the other side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Problem with the bolt on the back is there is no easy access to reaching it. I will try to heat it up and then take an easy out to it. Thanks guys! Old vehicles suck lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with Jherrington. My first lift, first build I'm still working on I had to heat almost every bolt. Only broke 2. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
That took a lot of force. That is a 10.9 bolt.
That's not necessarily what he installed. The factory installed a 10mm 1.5 bolt with a 10.9 strength rating but that doesn't mean the OP knew to also make sure the replacement bolt had that 10.9 rating. Then again it's pretty easy to snap it even with the 10.9 rating. It can break when tightened much past its 45 ft-lb. factory tightness spec. It happened to me which is why I recommend the stronger 12.9 strength rating for that particular bolt. Or even going for a slightly larger diameter SAE bolt with a Grade 8 rating. That particular bolt needs to be tight and I like it tighter than 45 ft-lbs (depending on the model year).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try using Dr Scholl wart freeze away, this will get bolt very cold (causing contraction), you may need 3 or 4 tubes. Used this at work a few times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So in my adventure of removing the bolt that i royally messed up, i am planning on taking a reciprocating saw to both sides of the trackbar between the bracket. Keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i hope i have better luck then you did I'm going to embark on this adventure tomorrow or these weekend depending on how far i get tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts