Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 4" leaf spring lift in my 95 YJ. It's also my DD. Do I need the rear trac bar?? The thing just won't come off!! LOL!!!:banghead:

If I don't than i was fixing on cutting it before the brackets to keep them just in case I will need to install one at some point.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
that's what i did, cut the sucker and leave the ends in the brackets. it rides better without it, your kidneys will thank you.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
While I agree with dumping the rear trak bar, totally diagree on the front sway bar for a DD. Invest in a good set of discos line the JKS and keep the sway bar up front.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
what!!! i never had my sway bars on and mine is my dd. i just took my trac bar off tonght, it drove fine, the steering was sluggish, but it was it ever not to start with? if you have coil suspension than yes you have to have a trac bar, but other than that the leafs hold it together, chuck it!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good discussion. What I did was cut the rear at the brackets as jpdocdave suggested. I also cut the drag links (Bolts were seized) and left the sway bar in case I needed it at some point. I have to torque everything down this morning and change out the pitman arm.

I will test drive it today to see if I need to lower the x-fer case. I have a lowering kit with me so no biggie. But I do have a question. the bolts on th skid plate looked really bad (rusted). I'm more apt to snap them off....any need for the skid plate if i do zero trailing with it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will i still need to fab a crossmember if I install a lowering kit? that would be the only reason i would even attempt to take it off.

Also, One last thing. I test drove for a little bit today and the steering seems fine. Do I still need a dropped pitman arm if the steering is fine??

i will post pics when I'm done today......:)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
how much lift do you have?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed new springs that are supposed to give me 3.5 to 4". But I'm sure once the springs settle it will be less than that.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
yeah i would install the drop pitman arm and do the tcase lowering kit, i guess just get 1 inch pucks between the skidplate!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts