Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ryanmalzac1 said:
big , i think its a 50, i had to buy the biggest one they sold at home depot
I think that is right, and may i suggest soaking the bolts first with your favorite penetrating oil. Ive had good luck with spraying bolts once a day for a week or so before trying to remove them.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
It's a 55. I just did this last week. The front came off without much issue but the back was a nightmare. Ended up cutting it in pieces with a cut off wheel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I only got the one side out and lifted the trackbars and cable tied them to the frame just in case I wanted them back on later.
They are a major PITA to fully remove, unless you just cut them out. But then the are unsalvageable.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah i could not get the back on off and i dont have anything to cut it off with so i had to leave it on, but the front was pretty easy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow my jeep must be really rust free... I didn't use any penatrating oil or cut off wheel.
Didn't even need a breaker bar or cheater bar.
Just an open end wrench and my 1/2" drive wrench...
I couldn't remember the size either I just grabbed my 3 largest ones I had and blindly fit them until I had the right one.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It's a 55. I just did this last week. The front came off without much issue but the back was a nightmare. Ended up cutting it in pieces with a cut off wheel.
I was able to get the rear off using a monkey wrench. A little challenging to keep it on the head of the bolt, but it worked. There is no way I would have been able to get it out otherwise, Im sure I would have broken any and all torx bits trying to get it out.

If I wasnt so anal about it, I would have just cut it out with a sawzall.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine came out quite easily. The PO had installed a lift with those crappy track bar brackets. I only needed to use my special "swear" tool a few times.

·
Registered
483 Posts
easy for me too and great ride

431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
denisbaldwin said:
Thanks man, and yes soaking in PB HELPS I'f I have to cut them then I will I need my YJ BACK I miss driving my toy

431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cowboy17 said:
I only got the one side out and lifted the trackbars and cable tied them to the frame just in case I wanted them back on later.
They are a major PITA to fully remove, unless you just cut them out. But then the are unsalvageable.
I agree might try that method to, I need to finish my lift so will see

431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speedy4x4 said:
Traction Bars prevent axle wrap.
Track Bars keep your axle aligned from left to right and offer no anti-wrapping support
Sorry I ready it the wrong way!! While the purpose of the suspension of an automobile is to allow the wheels to move vertically with respect to the body, it is undesirable to allow them to move forward and backwards (longitudinally), or side to side (laterally). The Panhard rod is designed to prevent lateral movement.[2] Not to be confused with a traction bar which controls axle wrap and suspension loading. The track bar or Panhard bar is a simple device, consisting of a rigid bar running sideways in the same plane as the axle, connecting one end of the axle to the car body or chassis on the opposite side of the vehicle. The bar is attached on either end with pivots that permit it to swivel upwards and downwards only, so that the axle is allowed to move in the vertical plane only. This does not effectively locate the axle longitudinally, therefore it is usually used in conjunction with trailing arms which stabilize the axle in the longitudinal direction. This arrangement is not usually used with a leaf spring suspension, where the springs themselves supply enough lateral rigidity, but only with coil spring suspensions.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Keeter6227 said:
I would like to keep my Trac bars on so I don't get " Axle Wrap" , that's is possible when you take them off, that's really the real reason that they are there
I may have miss understood, i was thinking the bar that goes from the drivers side axle to the passenger side frame rail.

431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
camarozz said:
I may have miss understood, i was thinking the bar that goes from the drivers side axle to the passenger side frame rail.
I got that quote from Wikipedia , I don't care for traction bar, I just wanna know from fellow jeeper's will I get axle wrap if I take of my Trac Bar's ?? And with the real reason to remove them except for more flex?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts