Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help ASAP. How much addative do I put in the rear differential of a 2015 JK with the Trac Loc differential? Do I squirt the whole 4 ounce bottle in there, or what? The directions on the bottle say,"2-5% of the weight". Whatever that means. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I need help ASAP. How much addative do I put in the rear differential of a 2015 JK with the Trac Loc differential? Do I squirt the whole 4 ounce bottle in there, or what? The directions on the bottle say,"2-5% of the weight". Whatever that means. Any help is appreciated.
while I do not know the exact answer so I'm no help there, the instructions would indicate you use 2-5% of the fluid weight in your differential. If you put 100oz then you would add 2-5oz the additive.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I forgot to add that I would check the bottle of oil you're using as a replacement. Some lubes come with the friction modifier and to add more would reduce the effectiveness of the trac loc.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Add the 4 ounces. However, like 15RubieJK said, check what you're using. If it already has the additive in it do not add more, it will defeat the purpose of having limited slip. Most synthetic gear lube has the additive in it.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I used a semi-synthetic gear lube from Valvoline that already has the additive in it. It will say "limited slip" on the bottle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used a semi-synthetic gear lube from Valvoline that already has the additive in it. It will say "limited slip" on the bottle.
^^^^ what he said ^^^^
Why not jus do a quick drain, inspect plug and refill w Full Synthetic (correct mixture of additive already in it)
Ur diff will thank you!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
This is the gear lube that I used. It meets Chrysler specs and it already has the additive in it. This makes it very easy to change the gear lube. I pulled the drain plugs for the front and rear and let the differentials completely drain. It took 2 quarts to refill the rear and 1 quart for the front. This gear lube is $9 per bottle so it cost me only $27 for the gear lube change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts