Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed my 2011 JK 4 dr doesn't have the trac lock system. Didn't realize the importance of this system until after I purchased. Is it possible to have it installed after the fact? Any sort of limited slip available after market or does that require a different axle? Sorry if its a stupid questions. Just trying to prepare for the snow.:punk:

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge . :D

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If its like the tj and yj system you are not missing much. I would say if you want a very good limited slip.. look into the detroit tru track. It will install in your current axles.. Rear might work best for you.

·
UConn Husky
546 Posts
I have Trac Lock on my 2010, and plan to upgrade to lockers. That's what I would recommend to you - skip the LSD and go straight to lockers

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Grog may sell it to you lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So can I order the "lockers" from dealer? What do you mean lockers? Is it possible to have trac lock installed now that I have the jeep?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
So can I order the "lockers" from dealer? What do you mean lockers? Is it possible to have trac lock installed now that I have the jeep?
Lockers, Limited Slips and other Differentials Explained

You can i'm sure get something from the dealer but I wouldn't touch the stealership for something like that.. Your probably best suited depending on how much you offroad to just go with a Powertrax no slip locker or Detroit trutrac limited slip in your rear axle..

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The Track loc is an option for the non Rubicon models. These are limited slip and many don't like them and others do but even those that like them wish they had full lockers. There are several threads on the forum on which type people like to buy. They are all after market. You can get several types like manual, air, or electric. Just do a forum search and you will find tons of information on this. If you don't feel comfortable with this type of work you can contact a local offroad shop and they will be more then will to help you make your choices. Hint get their advice but don't buy parts from them. They have huge mark ups. Buy it online then take it to them to do the labor.

·
UConn Husky
546 Posts
The Track loc is an option for the non Rubicon models. These are limited slip and many don't like them and others do but even those that like them wish they had full lockers. There are several threads on the forum on which type people like to buy. They are all after market. You can get several types like manual, air, or electric. Just do a forum search and you will find tons of information on this. If you don't feel comfortable with this type of work you can contact a local offroad shop and they will be more then will to help you make your choices. Hint get their advice but don't buy parts from them. They have huge mark ups. Buy it online then take it to them to do the labor.
Count me in for one of those that have LSDs, like them, and want full lockers. I am going to larger tires, 33s or 35s, after my lift and so will regear. While the differential is being pulled apart, I will add in lockers to save on labor.

Most of the shops around here tell me to order the parts as they get them at the same price, and that way there is no doubt that it is what I want. So it works out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Did they drop the Brake Lock Differential on the 2011 X? On the Jeep site they only show Traction Control (BLD off-road) for the Sahara and Rubicon. The BLD works pretty good, though it's hard on the rear brake pads.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
rics1997 said:
Hint get their advice but don't buy parts from them. They have huge mark ups. Buy it online then take it to them to do the labor.
Be sure to check with the shop before doing this, though. One of the higher-quality off-road specialty shops here charges time and a half to install parts you didn't purchase from them. Kinda sucks but I figure it's fair. It's hard for a small indy shop to compete with the catalog stores on parts and they still have to meet overhead and turn a profit so they're still there when you need them.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On my 2010 build sheet its under optional equipment
Wow, OK thanks. Guess I'm not keeping up with the changes they're making.

·
Registered
523 Posts
can someone clarify the difference between a LSD and full lockers?

also, do rubi's come with full lockers? is that why that have that axel lock button by their 4 way flasher button?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
LSD = if one wheel starts to slip the differential will engage transfering power to the other wheel.

A locking differential is just that. Both wheels are locked and both turn.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Rubicon lockers can only be engaged in 4L.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Dags right, thats the way they come from the factory !!

LSD = if one wheel starts to slip the differential will engage transfering power to the other wheel.

A locking differential is just that. Both wheels are locked and both turn.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Rubicon lockers can only be engaged in 4L.
There's an easy mod to make them available in 4hi and even 2wd-but no thanx !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So let just to be sure before I consider the mod. Is it really necessary ? I don't do any real off roading. I bought the jeep for taking my dog on adventures. I do plan on taking the jeep on the beach but I don't do any real hardcore 4x4. Is the stock 4x4 enough for snow and sand? The weather here in delaware sucks and it rarely snows and my work schedule will only allow for me to take the jeep on the beach every once in awhile ? Just looking for some opinions before i spend 500 dollars. The worst the jeep will probably encounter is weather going to the in law's house in PA. Thanks

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Well, judging by your description of your 4-wheeling-

So let just to be sure before I consider the mod. Is it really necessary ? I don't do any real off roading. I bought the jeep for taking my dog on adventures. I do plan on taking the jeep on the beach but I don't do any real hardcore 4x4. Is the stock 4x4 enough for snow and sand? The weather here in delaware sucks and it rarely snows and my work schedule will only allow for me to take the jeep on the beach every once in awhile ? Just looking for some opinions before i spend 500 dollars. The worst the jeep will probably encounter is weather going to the in law's house in PA. Thanks
It would be a waste of money now, perhaps later on as you become more used to your jeep, you may want more serious modifications-lifts/bigtires/winch-etc and that will probably call for differential gear changes--then is when you'll want to either have lockers installed or LSD-

Let it go for now, you can learn to drive your 4wd in snow and slush--just go slow and you'll learn pretty fast-
You didn't say whether you have a stick/auto--pretty important !!

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
523 Posts
I bought the jeep for taking my dog on adventures.
I laughed at this :rofl:

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as you (no lockers or LSD) but neither did my TJ and it always got me around where I needed to go through the snow and dirt/gravel trails.

Regular 4x4 will be more than fine for your needs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts