Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 97 TJ 4.0 4x4. Stock suspension.

Issue: track bar bolt has come loose (causing death wobble). This is the last [f-ing] time that I'm putting up with this, since it definitely has not been the first :atomic:. I hate that stupid star-head bolt, and I want to replace it with a typical socket-head bolt.

Research: found someone who did the same thing for an LJ. Replaced the bolt with a class 12.9 M10x1.5 75mm bolt (even though it took a little work). The link to the guy's post about track bar bolts is: Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com (please don't hate me for quoting something from another forum; it's just what google found)

Want to know: Will this solution work for a TJ? OR has anyone else encountered this problem and have a simpler solution than the one I found?

Thanks, guys!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
as far as i am aware, shouldn't have any issue. i would suggest sending him a PM, i believe he is on this forum as well.

edit- i see he has a HP(high pinion) dana 30 and i think 97 you may have the low pinion. that being said i dont think bracketry is off, but may be ever so slightly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Most people have problems with it seizing up, not the opposite haha. Have you tried putting loctite on it?
Loctite will definitely be going onto the new one haha. The star head on mine is starting to strip anyway, so I am trying to replace it with something that will save me headaches in the future should I ever have to repair this again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Socket head bolts are real bad news. Use a hex head bolt.
yeah, that's what I meant. I was frantically typing out the post before class so I just mis-spoke (mis-typed? How about just a brain fart on terminology haha)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Vehicle: 97 TJ 4.0 4x4. Stock suspension.

Issue: track bar bolt has come loose (causing death wobble). This is the last [f-ing] time that I'm putting up with this, since it definitely has not been the first :atomic:. I hate that stupid star-head bolt, and I want to replace it with a typical socket-head bolt.

Research: found someone who did the same thing for an LJ. Replaced the bolt with a class 12.9 M10x1.5 75mm bolt (even though it took a little work). The link to the guy's post about track bar bolts is: Unlimited04's LJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com (please don't hate me for quoting something from another forum; it's just what google found)

Want to know: Will this solution work for a TJ? OR has anyone else encountered this problem and have a simpler solution than the one I found?

Thanks, guys!!
Are you torquing the bolt properly? The track bar is secured by the clamping force of the bolt, not by the shear force of the bolt fitting in the hole.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you torquing the bolt properly? The track bar is secured by the clamping force of the bolt. The bolt does not necessarily need to fit the hole.
I can't rule that out as a possibility, honestly. I don't have a torque wrench the proper size to fit there to quantitatively check the torque specifications. That being said, I've cranked it down nice and tight. As tight as i could get it given the limited tools that I have.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
... I don't have a torque wrench the proper size to fit there to quantitatively check the torque specifications. ...
This is your real problem. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap torque wrench. Rumor has it that they are surprisingly accurate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is your real problem. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap torque wrench. Rumor has it that they are surprisingly accurate.
Alright. I'll make it a point before the weekend. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
A bolt doesn't know or care that it's on a TJ. Neither does your TJ. You need to apply a prescribed amount of clamping force to the track bar bushing to keep it from moving within the bracket. It doesn't matter how you accomplish that clamping force, whether it's from a bolt, a bigger bolt, a smaller bolt or a damn C clamp.

Ask yourself:
Will the bolt fit through the hole?
Will the bolt survive being torqued to at least 45 ft-lbs?
Do I have a torque wrench capable of accurately measuring 45+ ft-lbs?

If the answer is no on any of those questions, you're doing it wrong. Sounds like you've already identified at least one problem - the lack of torque wrench.

Keep in mind the longer time you experience wobbles, the more chances you have to damage stuff in the front end. Tie-rod ends, ball joints, track bar ends (bushing/tie-rod end), upper & lower control arm bushings, unit bearings, drag-link, even the steering box are points of failure. When you have wobbles you need to find the problem and fix it, otherwise the damage spreads to lots of other components very quickly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm picking up a torque wrench in the next day or two; just my class schedule is a pain.

I have stopped the wobble for now. It developed quickly yesterday morning, and I was only a few miles from home so I returned and made some necessary adjustments (cranked that bastard as tight as I could get it).

I was mainly worried about whether or not the bolt size you mentioned in your other post was correct for that weird nut on the back side of the track bar bracket for a TJ. It never surprises me when any car manufacturer changes some part size, shape, etc for the simple reason of "because" (I'm sure there would be a logical engineering reason, but being an anthro student means that I'm not nearly smart enough to tackle engineering issues. Leave those to the engineers)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts