Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bent my drag link and tie rod but my focus at the moment is Drag Link replacing and I've hit a wall of confusion based on what I've got and had planned. Every setup is different and my rig is no exception to the rule.
Long ago (past the point of sending back) I made an error on some purchases that would be easy to not use, but a shame to waste and not get a full cash return on selling private.
I purchased Synergy Upper Track Bar Bracket / Steering Reinforcement kit for a couple hundred bucks, (not installed). I purchased and installed the RE Track Bar. I purchased but didn't install a Rancho Drop Pitman Arm.
I hear a lot of complaints about drop arms binding the steering gear so that was my intention for Synergy 's product IF I used the Rancho arm. I never installed them because I'd need to address the geometry of the Track Bar at the same time. Then I hear complaints about axle side Track Bar Brackets failing under stress.
**The Drag - Trying to figure out if I should just put a flip drag link kit on and forget the Rancho arm. Only problem is I'm concerned about clearance issues with my 15x10 cragar wheels because I'm confused with backspacing. Even if the drag flips perfect I couldn't use the Rancho Arm (obviously) and if I kept the Synergy Steering/Track Reinforcement I'd have to find a axle Track Bar Raise Bracket that isn't prone to failure or welding (I hate welding). Or I could not flip the drag, use the arm and Synergy stuff focusing on Track Bar Axle Bracket.
**The Track - Because of the design of Synergy 's Track Bar / Steering Box Reinforcement brackets i cant simply add a Track Bar Drop bracket to correct geometry of drag link. So its either ditch the Synergy brackets and get a drop bracket or add a Track Bar Raise bracket on the axle like i stated above. I know the two issues go hand in hand.
Im looking for advice or maybe im missing something thats an easy fix to my problem. I know some drag and tie rod ends have clearance issues with wheels but like I said I don't really understand that so maybe I could get help with that as well. It could change my options as far as flipping the drag or not. I have heard of but not all the time that some experience Axle Track Raise Bracket failure with Bolt On Brackets, but not so much weld type brackets.
Either way I'm trying to go up (and replace bent drag) so it's using the Rancho Arm and Synergy parts to do that or just scrap the idea and start over.

Have any advice on parts or process for my specific needs?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
15x10, Offset mm -38, Rear Backspacing 4" Cragar Wheels (5mm spacer combo hubcentric rings added)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues after multiple adjustments to a bent drag link and tie rod. Seems to be fine but before I take the plunge and wheel until it breaks I'm more of a proactive guy and would like to fix before I can't drive home. I know a good knock or flex and its all over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts