Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Wrangler Sport
RC 6" LA kit, RC adjustable rear track bar.

On New Years day I went out with a few friends on a not so difficult wheeling trip. I did not notice anything broken that day onthe trail or on the way home. Over the next few days I didnt drive the jeep much and then last night on my way to my friends house I had for the first time, what I would believe is death wobble. When I got to his house and started investigating I noticed my rear track bar had ummmm "popped out". Since it would appear is physically impossible for it to come un-screwed and the adjustment side, Im guessing it pulled through the threads? It wasnt broken at all, the threads on both parts looked fine. I took it off at the join, took the locking nut off, cleaned all the threads lubed and installed again. Everything tightened up just fine, and so far so good
(about another 25 miles driven).

Should I be worried its going to pop out again? Im reaaaaaly broke at the moment due to moving this month, so $119 for another RC or $224 for a currie would SUCK. I was thinking if I had to I could weld the nut to the bar, creating one non-adjustable unit, but this would be ok since its already set up for my rig.

Thoughts? Sorry if Im calling things by the wrong name, Im still new to Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was hoping. Thanks man.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You mentioned it was a not so difficult offroading. Before you weld, give everything a close check as something caused it to pop out. Try to locate the root cause first.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The over all trip was not too difficult, and like I said it didnt show signs of wobble till a day or so later. I noticed it(and think it finally pulled out) going over a hard exit out of my apt complex(damn construction).

The only difficult part of the wheeling trip was when I got stuck here...

I got stuck on the diff Im guessing, but as you can see the one back wheel was TUCKED and the other was free spinning when I touched it. Im guessing being stuck like this could of messed it up? I winched my self out and drove away fine.

Oh yeah , sorry for the edits to the photo, my friend did it with his iphone before he txt it to me.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
After you band aid this one consider it lesson learned, save your money and upgrade to a stronger well built Currie .Ya get pretty much what you pay for in Track bars.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After you band aid this one consider it lesson learned, save your money and upgrade to a stronger well built Currie .Ya get pretty much what you pay for in Track bars.
Thats kinda the plan. I dont wanna spend 119 on the same thing that broke, but I wont have 224 for like two weeks. Id like to weld it till I can get the new one from Currie,.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts