Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting a new trackbar for my JKU. I'm having to re-tighten my trackbar bolts every month or so to eliminate a "clunk" when I turn at very slow speeds. Whenever I re-tighten the bolts, the sound goes away. I figure that maybe something with the trackbar bushings or holes is starting to go, so I'd like to get out in front of it before it turns into DW eventually.

Does my assessment sound right? If so, what's a quality trackbar to replace with? I'm looking at the Metalcloak or Synergy, but really have no idea.

I have a 2" AEV spacer lift on a 2011 JKU Sport.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check the axle and frame mounting holes first. If they're elongated or oval, that's more likely to be your problem. I've heard of some people welding washers over the stock hole to get it back right, and I think there are a few aftermarket brackets that do the same. The stock bolt size also doesn't fit the stock mounting holes exactly. Look up the Northridge Grade 8 bolt kit. I'm running a Metalcloak TB and couldn't be happier. Plenty of clearance around the diff and it definitely tightened up the steering.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
The 2 at the top of my list are the JKS and the Teraflex. I'm currently using JKS and it's really a nice piece. I would absolutely buy it again. Metalcloak and Synergy are also very good.

Be sure to pick up a couple 9/16-18x3 grade 8 bolts, washers and Stover lock nuts to put it back together with. As above, inspect the holes and make sure they aren't ovaled out at all.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Check the axle and frame mounting holes first. If they're elongated or oval, that's more likely to be your problem. I've heard of some people welding washers over the stock hole to get it back right, and I think there are a few aftermarket brackets that do the same. The stock bolt size also doesn't fit the stock mounting holes exactly. Look up the Northridge Grade 8 bolt kit. I'm running a Metalcloak TB and couldn't be happier. Plenty of clearance around the diff and it definitely tightened up the steering.
X2

Save your money and fix the underlying problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll start with bolts and inspect everything when it's apart and go from there. As with all things Jeep, if I don't need to spend more money on this, I can always find something else to burn it on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts