Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the fat tires don't help, but would there be any advantage to adding say 1.5" spacers to my JKUR to keep it from bucking like a wild horse when travelling on rutted pavement? In some of the deeper ruts on our krappy kanadian roads, it probably appears I am driving drunk it is so bad.

I'll be adding a mild lift soon anyway, so will likely track-out with either spacers or new wheels, but I am wondering if it will help the highway manners at all?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I know the fat tires don't help, but would there be any advantage to adding say 1.5" spacers to my JKUR to keep it from bucking like a wild horse when travelling on rutted pavement? In some of the deeper ruts on our krappy kanadian roads, it probably appears I am driving drunk it is so bad.

I'll be adding a mild lift soon anyway, so will likely track-out with either spacers or new wheels, but I am wondering if it will help the highway manners at all?
Before you go there, some Q's:

Tire size? What PSI are you running?

My opinion on spacers...they'll make a bad problem worse.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the stock 255/17 and PSI was at 37... went down to 32 when I went to visit my friends at a lower elevation (and where the roads were worse). I'd like to end up with a bit wider tire just to get it looking more proper... ditto for the altitude. It just doesn't look quite right at stock...

I didn't realize the cooler temp and altitude change would make such a big difference in cold PSI... <> 5 lbs...

The tires are recently rotated and balanced as well...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just the stock 255/17 and PSI was at 37... went down to 32 when I went to visit my friends at a lower elevation (and where the roads were worse). I'd like to end up with a bit wider tire just to get it looking more proper... ditto for the altitude. It just doesn't look quite right at stock...

I didn't realize the cooler temp and altitude change would make such a big difference in cold PSI... <> 5 lbs...

The tires are recently rotated and balanced as well...
5 lbs can make it or brake it. Any wheel spacers will make it worse. I changed my stock tires which were 225/75R16's to 285/70R17's with no issues whatsoever!

50 Something

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wide tires track worse than a skinnier tire.
I am wondering if all things being the same, if widening the track of the vehicle via spacers or wheels would make any different... or improvement I guess is what I am after. I don't know why spacers would be any different than a different offset wheel... though I'd prefer new wheels myself... I need to be sensible with where I start so I don't end up somewhere I don't want to be. (i.e., broke)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
5 lbs can make it or brake it.
Yup, incorrect PSI can cause all sorts of driving issues.

I am wondering if all things being the same, if widening the track of the vehicle via spacers or wheels would make any different... or improvement I guess is what I am after. I don't know why spacers would be any different than a different offset wheel... though I'd prefer new wheels myself... I need to be sensible with where I start so I don't end up somewhere I don't want to be. (i.e., broke)
You're right about the spacers; ultimately, it has the same effect as wheels with a similar backspacing. Only difference is, you're introducing an extra part into the tire/wheel/hub equation, and that part is one extra thing that can go wrong. If you run spacers, make sure you check torque on em every tire rotation...

Other than that, you should be good, as long as you buy good spacers. Like a lift, no place to get cheap...

·
Super Moderator
53,783 Posts
Alignment-What is your toe setting?
Stock jeeps have wide specs it seems.
Lower caster and incorrect toe could cause some issues.
Spacers really did not change anything for me. I ran them for a couple months,

Better shocks will help absorb the road also. Since you have a unlimited, look into Bilstein 5100's.
or wait for it......... Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks :thumb:

Ken

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Just a few examples of how things seemed to work for me. Having been a "professional" driver for quite a few years; different tire brands of same size and type react differently on rutted highways also. I always hated Bridgestone steer tires cause they always liked to dart around; while GY or Michelin worked on the ruts pretty good. And the GY steer tires weren't any good on ice or snowpack.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Back to the OP. :wavey:

Upgrading your shocks can help. If you do lift, make sure you are putting decent shocks on it: Bilsteins, Old Man Emu, or Rancho 9000 series seem to the preferred mid-range shocks. You can also go with higher end shocks, but the cost climbs rapidly.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.