Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm high, but I was under the impression that in 4L esp, and traction control were off.....however today while climbing over a log the wheels spun a little and I'm almost certain the traction control system engaged because there was a light on the dash flashing and it felt as though power was reduced. I also experienced the same thing while driving through some mud, lockers engaged, 4L about 10 mph.....started spinning power reduced and I almost got stuck.....wasn't cool. Am I an idiot or am I missing something?

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 2011 does the same thing, I've noticed the light, but not the reduced power.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kjeeper10 said:
Enter read the manual comments :D

ESP can be turned partially off.
I read fangs manual, if I want to rip through mud wheels a spinning then the Damn thing should go. Not limit the power and let me get stuck.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Maybe I'm high, but I was under the impression that in 4L esp, and traction control were off.....however today while climbing over a log the wheels spun a little and I'm almost certain the traction control system engaged because there was a light on the dash flashing and it felt as though power was reduced. I also experienced the same thing while driving through some mud, lockers engaged, 4L about 10 mph.....started spinning power reduced and I almost got stuck.....wasn't cool. Am I an idiot or am I missing something?
My understanding is that when you shift into 4L, ESP should be fully disabled. In fact, I KNOW this is the case, because daggo schooled me on it awhile back.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
My understanding is that when you shift into 4L, ESP should be fully disabled. In fact, I KNOW this is the case, because daggo schooled me on it awhile back.
:thumb:

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
When you engage 4L, ESP is off. Your dash will read "ESP OFF" in the odometer area. The ESP light will be on, signalling that the system is off.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
daggo66 said:
When you engage 4L, ESP is off. Your dash will read "ESP OFF" in the odometer area. The ESP light will be on, signalling that the system is off.
It shows "esc off"carwith skidmarks and word off yet the light (esc activation) light car with skid marks flashes and It seems to reduce power when trying to do anything that causes the wheels to spin.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kjeeper10 said:
Thats the traction control kicking in
Ok,I just figured that out. I don't want that when I'm wheeling.....its stupid.almost caused me to get stuck in some pretty deep mud. Tires were spinning but I was still moving and it throttled me back to a dead stop. That is pretty damn stupid. I though according to the manual traction control was off in 4Lo

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I think TC stays on regardless of what you do.
Ways to disable The ESP but TC stays put.
Per the manual: The traction control system stays active even if the ESC is in partial or full off.

"If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s) to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS system functions similar to a limited slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle."

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
It shows "esc off"carwith skidmarks and word off yet the light (esc activation) light car with skid marks flashes and It seems to reduce power when trying to do anything that causes the wheels to spin.
If power is being reduced then you have something wrong.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts