Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys last week I installed my lift kit and had problems from the get go.. we installed the new rock krawler track bar incorrctly.. it was completly lose because we forgot to install the jam nuts for it and it rubbed on my rims a lot during my drive home.. about 35 miles.. after fixing the problem myself, I took the jeep to jeep service for them to do an alignment and check and tighten everything becauae I didn't really know what I was doing when installing.. after dropping it off this morning, they called me to pick it up a few hours later. On my drive home I noticed that it loses traction when I make slight turns and even if I am just going straight.. basically it loses traction for no reason.. I called jeep back and they told me to bring it back tomorrow but I am freaking out. What can the problem be???

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Sounds like you have one or many lose bolts and/or incorrectly torqued nuts.

You need to really crank hard on those jam nuts and apply some loctite to secure them. You also should check for damaged components. What you're describing as your drive home sounds pretty scary. I'd have stopped and fixed it before proceeding if something sounded broken or wrong.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have one or many lose bolts and/or incorrectly torqued nuts.

You need to really crank hard on those jam nuts and apply some loctite to secure them. You also should check for damaged components. What you're describing as your drive home sounds pretty scary. I'd have stopped and fixed it before proceeding if something sounded broken or wrong.
I thought it just needed an alignment I was told it was rubbing because the factory tie rod end is curved and the replacement was straight and it wouldn't with bigger tires.. All the tools were at the place where we installed the kit.. also it was 1am I just wanted to get it over to jeep to check everything..
I just pray that its a lose bolt..

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Is your steering wheel centered while driving straight? Once you get all things properly torqued, check for centering---- if the wheel isn't straight, your TC light will light up.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
PS-- torque everything with wheels on the ground

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your steering wheel centered while driving straight? Once you get all things properly torqued, check for centering---- if the wheel isn't straight, your TC light will light up.
No the steering wheel is not centered when driving straight even though it was aligned today at Jeep service center. And to be honest with you I am done with going under there for a while.. Do you recommend I just take it to jeep tomorrow and have them do it? I am not even sure which what to torque each bolt to...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
No the steering wheel is not centered when driving straight even though it was aligned today at Jeep service center. And to be honest with you I am done with going under there for a while.. Do you recommend I just take it to jeep tomorrow and have them do it? I am not even sure which what to torque each bolt to...
This is very easily done. Park your JEEP with the wheels straight forward; then Crawl under your JEEP and loosen the two bolts holding the drag link adjuster; then rotate the adjuster on the drag link until the wheel is centered--- done deal!! Works really easy if you have a helper to watch wheel while you turn the adjuster. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Mopar2Ya said:
I'm no expert(someone will chime in), but do the wheel speed sensors get upset w/over sized tires sometimes setting off the TC? That's why I asked about the Procal.
Thats what AEV says right in the procal directions.

Edit: wait - maybe it was on their website...I just know I read that from them somewhere yesterday.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't think oversized tires and whether you have or have not used the ProCal to correct your speedometer or TPMS have anything to do with it. I think it all has to do with your steering wheel not being centered.

·
Registered
327 Posts
BadOleRoss said:
I don't think oversized tires and whether you have or have not used the ProCal to correct your speedometer or TPMS have anything to do with it. I think it all has to do with your steering wheel not being centered.
I am going with this answer. After I installed my lift, I took it for a spin before centering the steering wheel and experience se of the same thing in a turn. It takes 10 minutes to correct and it has not happened since. Oh, and get a Pro Cal. Amazing little programmer. Everything you need to know about torque specs are covered on this site and YouTube. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Not saying this is the case, but I found what I was talking about (from AEV's website). Along with incorrect tire sizes it also mentions the steering wheel being off as being a problem:

Yes, for the better. The ESP system uses vehicle speed along with individual sensors that measure acceleration both front-to-rear and side-to-side. ESP functions by calculating how much steering angle the user inputs and how fast the vehicle is going, and then calculates how much side-to-side acceleration should occur. If the side-to-side acceleration is less than what the ESP predicts, that means the vehicle is sliding and it will try to correct the situation by applying specific brakes at each wheel and/or reducing throttle.

If the tire size and gear ratio values are incorrect, the calculations the ESP system processes will also be incorrect. This can cause the ESP system to trigger at the wrong time, which at best can be annoying and if it happens at the wrong time (or doesn’t happen when it should) can be dangerous. Lifted vehicles are more prone to inadvertent ESP activation, because the speedometer is wrong or the steering wheel isn’t centered. The ProCal will allow you to fix these issues so your ESP can function properly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
No the steering wheel is not centered when driving straight
From the RK installation guide:Please note: If your steering wheel is off at all the ESP will be activated.

Do yourself a favour, go through the guide once again and double check all the steps :thumb:

DB

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is very easily done. Park your JEEP with the wheels straight forward; then Crawl under your JEEP and loosen the two bolts holding the drag link adjuster; then rotate the adjuster on the drag link until the wheel is centered--- done deal!! Works really easy if you have a helper to watch wheel while you turn the adjuster. Best of luck to you.
Thank you guys. Yea I am going to center the steering wheel now and see if it helps.. Again thanks guys

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
David, if I were you I would still bring it back to the dealership and ask the service manager what kind of shop does an alignment and leaves the steering wheel off-center, then have him get his BEST tech on your Jeep and have him go through it all again to make sure the first tech didn't miss anything else. You paid good money for an alignment and a centered steering wheel is the very basic part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts