Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - the last couple of days I have been having a traction control issue. Tonight was the worse it has been. It has only happened to my as I pull out of my gravel driveway onto a blacktop. No tire spin, but my traction control kicked in and cut power to nearly nothing. I didn't realize it and shifted into second and it nearly died. I shit it off and restart it as I was putting along the blacktop and it did it one more time then settled out and ran fine after that. When this happens, they traction control light comes on while this is happening.

Anybody have any thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TX6.5guy

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a wheel speed sensor?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Are there any ways to determine if that is the problem and which one it may be?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the issue again this AM and this is what I did and the result. I pulled out of my driveway and the TC light came on and it stated to bog down or lose power. I reached down and turned off TC and it seemed to fix the lose of power issue, but shortly after that, the ABS lite came on as well. After about 2 miles, I reached down and turned TC back on and all lights went off. I am perplexed. I will have do some research on the speed sensor and see if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
@Cride, check for codes. I believe they indicate which sensor is bad.

Reactions: Cride

·
Registered
836 Posts
If it turns out to be a wheel speed sensor you may be able to get it fixed under warranty. I got a letter in the mail, saying they extended the warranty on them and another one that has to do with brakes just can't exactly remember what atm.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is that this method will not provide the ABS codes. I stopped by Autozone to have them read the codes for me, but they said their scanners do not read ABS codes either. They said they do rent a scanner that does.

You can have the computer read them off for you:
Check JK Codes
1. Insert key and turn the ignition On-Off-On-Off-On
2. The codes are given in the odometer read-out.

Here's the procedure and code list.
https://www.quadratec.com/c/reference/jeep-wrangler-jk-diagnostic-codes-and-how-check-them

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wasn't aware of that. I found some suggestions on an old post from another forum.

"Innova 3150 or 3160. $191 and $220 on Amazon. They should work on your jeep abs system. "

There was also mentions of the possibility of bluetooth readers that come with paid apps that might be able to do this. I couldn't find a model that guaranteed they had this capability.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a bluetooth adapter that was $8 off Ebay and the Torque phone app that I think I paid $15 for. It will read everything.

I also have the superchips Programmer which reads all the codes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I was finally able to get the codes checked using the key method. It flashed U1418 or Implausable right wheel distance signal. Now, based on a little research, I think this is wheel speed sensor related, but not sure if it front or rear. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, as mentioned above, I did pull codes last night and I get U1418 so right side issues. Not sure how to figure out if it is a front or rear.

What is concerning me is the loss of power when it acts up. It really bogs down for a few seconds. This typically happens when first starting the Jeep up taking off the first time. It will bog down and kind of feels like something is binding, then after a few seconds it restores power and everything seems to go back to normal but the ABS and track control lights stay on. They will even go off after a bit of driving. I have also found that if I hit the track control button while it is bogging down, it will immediately restore power.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So, as mentioned above, I did pull codes last night and I get U1418 so right side issues. Not sure how to figure out if it is a front or rear.

What is concerning me is the loss of power when it acts up. It really bogs down for a few seconds. This typically happens when first starting the Jeep up taking off the first time. It will bog down and kind of feels like something is binding, then after a few seconds it restores power and everything seems to go back to normal but the ABS and track control lights stay on. They will even go off after a bit of driving. I have also found that if I hit the track control button while it is bogging down, it will immediately restore power.

Anybody have any ideas?
The bogging down and binding feeling is the traction control system kicking in and doing its thing because of the issue your having with a wheel speed sensor. It's retarding power and applying brakes as it's supposed to. With a bad wheel speed sensor, the vehicle thinks that wheel is slipping/losing traction when it isn't. Unfortunately I can't tell you which sensor it is. If you get the sensor fixed, these symptoms will go away.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The bogging down and binding feeling is the traction control system kicking in and doing its thing because of the issue your having with a wheel speed sensor. It's retarding power and applying brakes as it's supposed to. With a bad wheel speed sensor, the vehicle thinks that wheel is slipping/losing traction when it isn't. Unfortunately I can't tell you which sensor it is. If you get the sensor fixed, these symptoms will go away.
This guy is absolutely correct.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well I was finally able to get the codes checked using the key method. It flashed U1418 or Implausable right wheel distance signal. Now, based on a little research, I think this is wheel speed sensor related, but not sure if it front or rear. Anybody have any suggestions?

I did some more digging. It appears that U1418 should be for the rear sensor.

Did you also get a C102B? That should confirm right rear sensor.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The U1418 is the ONLY code I got.

I did some more digging. It appears that U1418 should be for the rear sensor.

Did you also get a C102B? That should confirm right rear sensor.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

This is exactly what I figured it was, but I hand't really seen anybody else comment about the lose of power.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One quick (dumb) question. I assume that when it say right side, it means right side as you are setting in the jeep and not right side as you are looking at the jeep from the front. Can anybody confirm?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts