Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im think about trading my 07 liberty to get the 2012 rubicon, anyone think its a bad idea? and input is helpful.

i enjoy off roading and the liberty isnt bad in the mud but i get alot of crap for being a guy with a Liberty

·
Registered
332 Posts
I Sold my 07 liberty with 80,000miles and bought an 08 wrangler with 20,000 in January.
I respect the liberty and often even miss it.

Though there was nothing wrong with my liberty, a good deal came by and I took it.

Pros and cons
Pros,
More room,
Convertible
Manual, so more fun,
Extremely good offroad,
Much cool to arrive at a club with ( I will never hear "that like my mom's car again" haha)

Cons
The money I spent on it
Horrible mpg
Not as smooth in the city
Slower

Over I love my wrangler and wouldn't go back I don't mind the noise or the hard ride I was raised with trucks, and if offroad in aim well the liberty was much more sensitive then my wrangler.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wrangler you WILL NOT be dissapointed my buddy owns a liberty and I dummy him in the trails with my 07 4 door wrangler. We even raced both autos he beat me from a 0-60 I hammered on the gas he won. 25-60 hammered on the gas again... I won real talk... Jared-

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Traded in my '03 Liberty Renegade for a Wrangler this year. The Liberty was awesome...I beat the crap out of it, and it just kept going. Great truck. Very reliable.

And then one morning I woke up, and thought to myself..."Self, what if you had a Jeep that had the potential to leak? A Jeep that would suck the money outta your wallet like a Shop-Vac. A Jeep that you could make your own, and that would shit on you no matter how much love you showed it."

In Italy, when you fall in love at first sight, they call it the Thunderbolt. :D

Apropos, seems to me.

As you may have guessed by now, the Liberty is toast. Don't miss it in the least.

Welcome.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Straight to a Rubicon - wow, wont know yourself :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I traded my '07 Compass Limited, which I did love and enjoy thoroughly for the '12 Wrangler Sahara . . . what did I say I was driving before?
The Wrangler has wiped the Compass from my memory, after a month I cannot imagine driving anything else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealership gave me a quote. I went home thought it over for 2 days went back to do the trade and then they said "oh that quote was before taxes" what the heck is the point of a quote before taxes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just plain dumb-a

The dealership gave me a quote. I went home thought it over for 2 days went back to do the trade and then they said "oh that quote was before taxes" what the heck is the point of a quote before taxes
That's just dumb-a$$!
My quotes were always tax in, plus my trade-in was subtracted before tax calculated to save the tax on that value.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
kbwwolf said:
And then one morning I woke up, and thought to myself..."Self, what if you had a Jeep that had the potential to leak? A Jeep that would suck the money outta your wallet like a Shop-Vac. A Jeep that you could make your own, and that would shit on you no matter how much love you showed it."

Welcome.
I felt same way too, so freaking funny, same worries, still wanted it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i2canoe said:
I traded my '07 Compass Limited, which I did love and enjoy thoroughly for the '12 Wrangler Sahara . . . what did I say I was driving before?
The Wrangler has wiped the Compass from my memory, after a month I cannot imagine driving anything else.
We traded our 08 patriot limited, and all I can say is after those two jeeps I'm converted. Buying another jeep and trading in my SRT-8! :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
We traded our 08 patriot limited, and all I can say is after those two jeeps I'm converted. Buying another jeep and trading in my SRT-8! :thumb:
Another UL? or will the second be the shorter wheelbase?

·
Registered
571 Posts
my wife had an 04 Liberty it was like the "little jeep that could":thumb:. it did exceptionally well in the snow. when we had those back to back blizzards a couple of years ago it did remarkably well....with stock tires! i put in the part time 4 wheel drive selection so it could decide when it wanted it. went all around on unplowed streets in 8-12 inches of snow and anywhere we wanted. sadly, we traded it recently for a 2011 liberty limited....not anywhere near the 2003...:nonono:....
that said, i traded in my 2007 Sahara for a 2012 Rubi and she likes it. I've tried to talk her into a JKU Sahara but she'll have none of it:whistling:. i think she's waiting for an Grand Cherokee Overland $$ :eek:. i don't think you'll be disappointed.

cass:wavey:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Traded our '07 Liberty for an '11 JKU. We actually only got the '07 Liberty in '07 because at the time discounts on the JKU's were fairly non-existant, and we were budget constrained.

Might've stuck with a newer Liberty if they hadn't discontinued the 6-sp manual transmission and the Liberty's interior didn't still feel like a plastic kids toy. It's awful.

Definitely some big wins for the JKU so far:
1. Top off, doors off.
2. It still has a manual transmission
3. Way larger, more usable cargo and interior area (2 dogs, 1 toddler who seems to want us to bring a lot of stuff).
4. Interior, save perhaps the rear seats, feels way better. And I rarely sit back there, so who cares? Toddler is in a car seat, and also hence does not care.

Cons:
What cons? Actually...
1. If you really used your Liberty's roof rack, that's something to consider. I do have a set of Thule rain gutter feet and related bars, and a Yakima roof box - but I make sure that's whatever is in the roof box is not too weighty (e.g. - snowboards, snowshoes, stroller). Obviously, that's not an option if you go soft top only.
2. Never had to worry about putting the roof back on at night (I could put that in the win category too, though ;) ).
3. Towing capacity is less - not a concern for me though. I think the tongue weight limit is also a bit less if you're thinking of getting some kind of hitch-mounted storage.
4. Rear seat headroom due to sound bar (however, see note above about not caring). It can feel a bit claustrophobic if you're taller.

Don't regret a thing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Go with the Rubi, it was the best purchase I have ever made. It's amazing how wind noise and leaks are mostly viewed as poor build quality. Whenever I hear wind noise in my Jeep (which is damn quiet) I just think of it as a fun quirk that gives my rubi character. Haven't had any rain/snow or car washes so i don't know if it will leak, but if it doesn I will somehow find that endearing. Go to the Rubi, you'll have no regrets as others have said. :dance:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
^Interesting.....
I purchased a 2006 Libby in 2008. The plan was to wait a year after the JKU's hit and buy a 2007 in 2008....but the price never dropped much....and I found a great deal on my 65th Anv Libby instead.

I'm another person looking to from a Libby to a Wrangler. But I have different internal pros and cons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded in my '04 Liberty Renegade for a '12 JKU and I can honestly say that I don't have a single regret. I liked my Liberty but I LOVE my JKU.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts