Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my truck that I'm trading on my '12 is paid for. But I dont want to put the entire amount down on my jeep. I want to keep some cash out for mods. Will the dealer cut me a check for the difference between the trade value and what I want to put down? If so am I just giving the dealer another avenue to screw me over. I'm already approved for 2.9% financing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why not sell it privately so you have the money going in and not giving the dealer the chance to make more overhead on your trade. Not sure of your timeline, but if you have the time, it may be better off in the long run. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You would do better selling it yourself but if that's not an option then it doesn't cost anything to try. The most they can say is no. I've never heard of a dealer in my area that would do that but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You'll do better selling it yourself but if you're like me, it's not worth the hassle. No matter what the dealer tells you, KBB is a good indication of what you should get for your trade. There are many dealers out there that will match KBB and others that give something very close to it. If a dealer is telling you that your trade is worth thousands less, walk away.

I've never seen a dealer that wouldn't write a check for the value of your trade but maybe there are some out there. Again, if that's what you want and the dealer won't budge, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
798 Posts
One thing you could do is go to autotrader.com and put in your vehicle specs, then go to a participating dealer and get a check handed to you for the truck for the "fair market value" which is good for 2 weeks or so. Then go buy the Jeep and have your money left over for the mods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got $1800 more than Kbb on my trade in and still got 1% below invoice and the 0% financing on my 2011 JKU

·
Registered
206 Posts
They might do it for you. Just tell them you want a check for X amount. If it was me I would just save up the mod money and take the break on the taxes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did the autotrader guaranteed offer. It came in $2k less than I was initially offered at the Ford dealership a couple of weeks ago when I was looking at a f150 platinum. I guess I will try to get them to cut a check for the difference if not I guess I'll have to walk and they lose a guaranteed sale.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have Carmax near you? They'll outright buy your vehicle even if you don't buy one from them. We've both bought and sold from them (different transactions, years apart). The selling process was very smooth and quick, and they offered a couple thousand more than I expected. It was much faster than selling ourselves and might be an option for you. Anytime you can deal on a new vehicle without a trade (cutting a check aside), you've got more leverage and less area for dealers to hide their profit (and empty your wallet). JMHO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would trade it in. Usually they take the trade in value off of the new car before calculating the sales tax. So if you trade in a 10k car you save 1k on sales tax for the new car(10% sales tax here). Of course they give you less for you car too so you have to think about that. You can always have the dealer order the parts and add the cost to your purchase price as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would trade it in. Usually they take the trade in value off of the new car before calculating the sales tax. So if you trade in a 10k car you save 1k on sales tax for the new car(10% sales tax here). Of course they give you less for you car too so you have to think about that. You can always have the dealer order the parts and add the cost to your purchase price as well.
This is a huge deal. Saved me $1k, too. I might have been able to sell for $1500 more than the trade-in offered, but why bother with the hassle of having to show the thing to a bunch of non-serious inquiries who kick the tires, drive the thing, and waste my time?

It's a win for the dealer, a win for me, and a loss for .gov. I approve.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This past Saturday, I received a letter in the mail from my local Jeep dealer stating in bold letters, highlighted in yellow, "We'll give you $1000 above Kelly Blue Book for your trade!" So, like a complete idiot, I took my excellent condition, accident free, original owner, fully paid for 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon to the dealership, along with the letter, walked in with a great big smile and said, "I'd like to take advantage of this offer letter I just received from your dealership!" The fat cheese in the corner said, "Sure, we'll take a look and then give you a number." Well, 10 minutes later, they came back with an offer that was exactly $5000 less than Kelly Blue Book good condition! I was completely stunned! I asked, "Why are you not honoring the letter? It's clearly written right here on the offer letter that you guys will give me $1000 ABOVE Kelly Blue Book." The fat cheese would give me no explanation, and simply said, "That's the offer! Take it or leave it!" I was completely flabbergasted, and mentioned that the offer seemed like false advertisement. They, of course, said, "That's just your opinion." We argued back and forth, but I got absolutely nowhere. So, I wrote a letter to the GM... We'll see what happens... Long story short, when something seems to good to be true, it usually is, however, in my opinion, if an establishment clearly puts something in writing, they should honor it!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, it kills me how trade in value pricing seems to keep changing. Years ago, it was kbb which to me is the most accurate pricing. After black books and all the other ones out there, most dealers want to give you autotrader.com trade in pricing. I wondered why to begin with... well its because it just happens to be a couple grand less than kbb (at least on the vehicles I have considered trading.) I guess they will keep using this trade in guide until another company starts up and says vehicles are worth even less then autotrader.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
KBB/Nada both had my 01 valued at $5000 and I asked for atleast $4000, the vehicle had a soft top and soft doors at the time. They offered $3000. We settled at $3500 which was great because I still had position off the hard top and full steal doors, I sold them a week later for $1100.
Total $5100--WIN for me :thumb:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Didnt read all the posts but what you need to realize is just because the dealer said he is giving you 3k for your trade, doesn't mean thats what he is paying you for the car.

They show you 3k, but really its 1500 for the trade, and 1500 off the car your buying.

Just something to keep in mind.

Sell privately, you always get more.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
hypobid said:
This past Saturday, I received a letter in the mail from my local Jeep dealer stating in bold letters, highlighted in yellow, "We'll give you $1000 above Kelly Blue Book for your trade!" So, like a complete idiot, I took my excellent condition, accident free, original owner, fully paid for 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon to the dealership, along with the letter, walked in with a great big smile and said, "I'd like to take advantage of this offer letter I just received from your dealership!" The fat cheese in the corner said, "Sure, we'll take a look and then give you a number." Well, 10 minutes later, they came back with an offer that was exactly $5000 less than Kelly Blue Book good condition! I was completely stunned! I asked, "Why are you not honoring the letter? It's clearly written right here on the offer letter that you guys will give me $1000 ABOVE Kelly Blue Book." The fat cheese would give me no explanation, and simply said, "That's the offer! Take it or leave it!" I was completely flabbergasted, and mentioned that the offer seemed like false advertisement. They, of course, said, "That's just your opinion." We argued back and forth, but I got absolutely nowhere. So, I wrote a letter to the GM... We'll see what happens... Long story short, when something seems to good to be true, it usually is, however, in my opinion, if an establishment clearly puts something in writing, they should honor it!
:(

Man I would have caused an everlasting seen. Hopefully the dealership had some kind of massive sale with balloons and free cookies. Thats what I did when I picked up my 01- the dealer mislead me thinking I still was going to get the soft top
evan though I chose the hard. The duel top had to be chosen to get both but the sales idiot explained it wrong. Well - I got my top FREE and also gave me a set of 30" tires of a salvage jeep, that sure shut me up :thumb:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Didnt read all the posts but what you need to realize is just because the dealer said he is giving you 3k for your trade, doesn't mean thats what he is paying you for the car.

They show you 3k, but really its 1500 for the trade, and 1500 off the car your buying.

Just something to keep in mind.

Sell privately, you always get more.
Exactly! If you must trade in, don't mention anything about trading in until you are happy with the price you are getting on the new purchase first. The numbers should be mutually exclusive. The dealers love to lump them into one transaction to make the trade in sound better, try to get you confused, and charge more for the new vehicle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hypobid said:
This past Saturday, I received a letter in the mail from my local Jeep dealer stating in bold letters, highlighted in yellow, "We'll give you $1000 above Kelly Blue Book for your trade!"
Who was the dealer?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Who was the dealer?
This was at Royal Gate Dodge in Ellisvile, MO. I was trying to see if they'd give me more mooney for my 2009 Rubi over Lou Fusz Jeep. If they would've honored the letter, I was going to walk away from the Lou Fusz deal. I raised hell, yet they still would not honor the letter. I have written a letter to the GM, but have not heard back yet. If I don't hear back within the next couple of days, I'll probably go ahead and log a complaint with the BBB.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hypobid said:
I raised hell, yet they still would not honor the letter. I have written a letter to the GM, but have not heard back yet. If I don't hear back within the next couple of days, I'll probably go ahead and log a complaint with the BBB.
Now that's customer service!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts