Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 04 tj w bout 52xxx miles. Mint no rust ( very hard to find in new England). I checked around and found an 08 wrangler w 37k miles... Dealer wants 18 for it and he said he will give me 12 trade in for my wrangler ( some minor aftermarket parts lift flares rims tires exhaust). I was wondering if that would be a good deal on my end. I paid 12 for it the beginning of the year. Anyone trade their tj for a jk and regret it??

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've owned both and find the TJ being more fun and easier to work on.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
I'd keep the TJ unless you find a LJ.. But thats just me

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
keep it, why would you want to trade? do you just like jks better? seems counter productive to spend 12k on one, upgrade it, and trade it for 12k when its in mint condition?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Let me add to my previous post. I would entertain moving to a JK only if my TJ was a 4 cylinder and the JK was a Rubicon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am biased and really fond of my 4.0L. It would be hard to switch to the minivan motor......

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
id rather have a tj, even the grille is steel

·
Registered
481 Posts
Some TJ owners own TJs for a reason, especially on this forum. A reason that trading one in for a JK would be counter productive. I wouldn't mind getting a JK, expecially if I needed a family vehicle and had a choice between a JK and a minivan, but not at the expense of my TJ.

I'm currently in the process of talking myself into 'needing' a second Jeep. JKs are too damn expensive, so it most likely won't be one of those unless one is being given away. For less than 8k with few miles and no issues, which won't happen of course. YJs are generally too old, beat up or have too many miles. I personally like TJs the best. so it'll most likely be a second TJ.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Been there done that, lost over $10K to prove it !!! Traded my mint '06 TJ Rubi for a brand new '07 JK Rubi when they first hit the market, I was sick over it! The JK was SO disappointing in EVERY way. Finally back to a TJ Rubi.......I made the mistake, and all I can say is, "don't do it" !!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stick with your tj. Right before I bought mine it was a toss up between an 08 and the 04 I have now. The 08 drove really well and came equipped with allot of nice bells and wistels but, the more I researched the more I found that the o7s- 2010s had a bunch of recalls. Another thing to consider is that yours only has 50 something thousand on it, heck that's just barely broken in. The tjs are just so easy to work on, parts are readily available, you can fine tune them to suite your individual taste( just empty every pocket), and let's not forget great web sites full of people that will help you if they can. Keep it, put 200 thousand on the odo. and have a blast doing it!

·
Registered
813 Posts
If I ever got a JK it would be if I had kids and needed to get a bigger suv. Then I'd get a 2012 JKU with the new pentastar motor.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My brother in-law sold his 97 TJ and bought 05 LJ new, we lifted it got it looking good and he traded it in for an 08 JKU new . Once again we lifted it got it looking good but he has always wanted a Brute or Scrambler type Jeep so when MOPAR came out with a kit to make his JK a pick up he was all excited until they came up with the price . By then he was back hung up on the pick up theme again so he swapped his 08JKU for a 04 LJ and a bunch of cash from a fellow down the street . Both are garage kept and same mileage . We have since lifted it and put the GR8TOP on the LJ so he has what he originally wanted and could of done 2 Jeeps back . Long story short be sure of what you really want because its not always easy to get back where you are .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts