Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking the idea around of trading in my JK for a JKU.. Need a little more backseat room, not to mention it is tough to get in the back seat with the Jeep lifted almost 3.5". My question is, has anyone traded in a modified JK but moved their mods to the JKU? Basically, I have built my JK the way I wanted and would like to keep my front and rear bumpers, my wheels and tires, and honestly I would like to keep my RK lift as well. So has anyone done this with a dealer? If so, how was it done and was it a pain to convince the dealer to allow you to make the swap? Essentially I would have to take the bumpers, wheels/tires, and lift off the JKU and turn the JK back stock.

As always thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You still don't have the original parts from your JK?
I have most of the parts. However, I do not have the wheels and tires.. Traded in the tires when I bought my 35s and scrapped the steel wheels for a few bucks. I do have the bumpers. As for suspension goes, I do not have the stock suspension, however I do have my original 3" BDS lift I put on right after I bought the JK.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
No reasonable dealer is going to do this. They are going to value your trade in with all the accessories included - not removed.

A dealer willing to do this is going to charge you the going shop rate to remove the parts from your trade in and then charge you again to install them on your new vehicle. A shop rate of $90 to $125 USD an hour is going to effectively cost you $180 to $250 USD an hour - per accessory. Don't forget supplies, EPA charges, and relevant taxes. This assumes that the dealership is going to be 1:1 in billable time for removal and re-installation of parts.

Don't forget you are going to have to pay full price for any factory parts needed to complete your JK to factory specs and most dealers will not install used parts because of warranty issues. One can just about guarantee that they will demand you pay for new parts because if you are trading in your JK, they are going to be on the hook for it in liability and any warranty issues

A dealer willing to do this might be all too willing to roll the cost into the vehicle loan and hide the true costing from you and you'll be paying for years on an inflated service add on.

If you must do this, do the work yourself and return your vehicle to stock prior to ever going near the dealership.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Much depends on what is added and what isn't done. Dealers have different standards that apply to their specific markets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The dealer doesn't care about your mods. They give you book price and mods aren't in the book.
When I traded in my TJ for my JKU the dealer removed my winch, sub woofer and all the wiring and set it in the back of the new one for me at no charge.
I would say take off what you can and put the stock parts that you have back on, the dealer will most likely do the tire/wheel swap for you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have done this with things like my Spod, tuffy stuff, lights, bumpers and winches. I always leave the suspension and wheels/tires on as that is where they generally give me the little extra on a trade. I have always just take the parts off at home minus the front bumper and the dealer generally is willing to swap the bumpers if the winch and lights are already off. What I have been told is if I leave the front bumper and want to take the winch they usually have an issue with it as it leaves the void and they have better resale with the winch. Anyway I would not transfer the suspension. get a new one with the new jeep it doesn't sound like it is a premo lift anyway. Don't take offence just guessing that the BDS lift was not all that expensive and it would not be worth the hassle and cost t swap.
Edit: Sorry missread I see you have a spare BDS to put on... and looks like you have a RK lift. Still stand by what I said, new jeep get a new lift.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I know damn well the dealership isn't going to give me much on the mods. The reason I'm wanting to keep my current setup is it is all less than a year old. Hell my Rock Krawler lift is only 6 months old. But life has changed and I will need a four door pretty soon.

Im thinking of putting the BDS lift and factory bumpers back on then telling a dealer I want to keep my wheels and tires and they can keep the new Jeeps wheel/tires for mine (I'm thinking of going to a Rubi).

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Good luck with your deal. I hope it turns out o.k. but I know better. We all lose in the Jeep buy/sell game especially with mods. I know this all too well so I wish you the best. I agree that if you can put back as many stock parts as you can that will help the deal.

The JKU is well worth the grief. I have owned a YJ, TJ, and now two JKUs. I am on my second JKU Rubicon and love them. They have a lot of space compared to the JK. The only reason I got a new one was I am tired of shifting so I went to auto and leather. Rubicon is also a good choice if you have the funds. I love mine:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Try CL or jeep forums for parts you need to bring jk back to stock. I see take off parts pretty decent price.

☞ Sent from here ☜

·
Registered
929 Posts
Finding takeoff parts to return yours to stock or near stock is a great idea. The dealer may allow you to swap your wheels if you reinstall the old BDS suspension, but if they have any forethought, who wants to have a Jeep with a 3" lift and stock 32" tires sitting on the lot for sale?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw this thread last night from work and could not respond. There are several people that have told the original OP that no dealer would allow him to do this and that they appraise your parts in the appraisal. I can tell you flat out that this information is NOT CORRECT. I have swapped my parts on every Jeep I have traded in. The dealer will make it seem like they are giving you more for your parts, but they are not. They go off a book or auction price and that's it, well, unless it's a small town dealer then maybe. I have only had one dealer give me crap about swapping and you know what; I didn't do business with them. I went to another dealer. I negotiated the swap deal and one dealer gave me a week to swap the parts!, another only three days. I swapped the parts myself and delivered it to the dealer. You can absolutely find stock parts on Craigslist to put your Jeep back stock. It can be done, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Tell them in order to make the sale they have to swap wheels and tires. The the used Jeep they get for trade will have new tires if they do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess I should caveat that with this; if you are in a situation in your life where your buying power is not the best (we have all been there) then you might have a little harder time negotiating this. However, if your not in the spot, you can do it easily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts