Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I promised an install write up when I installed my PSC trail corners w/LED cut outs. You wanted it so here it is:

1. Park your jeep on flat ground and get the tools you'll need: Drill, 1/4" bit, allen wrenches, 3/8 and 7/16 sockets. ratchet, torx bits, a 4 1/2" bimetal hole saw (I used a jig saw, get the hole saw and save yourself a lot of time and heartache), wrenches etc. Then remove plate, plate holder, and tail lamps. Wash your rear quarters to get off the grimey nastiness and it should look like this.

2. You're going to need to take your top loose and mock up the trail corners. Welding clamps are easiest, but use a rag in between to avoid scratcing your new corners. Use a sharpie to mark the holes and all cut outs. With the corners still on, I center punched the holes to be drilled (makes the punch more centered this way). Looks like this:

3. Take your corners back off and drill all your hole for mounting bolts and do your cut outs for your lights. The masking tape is to prevent the jigsaw from scratching the area up around the holes to minimize rust.

4. I took and put double sided foam tape on the inside edge of the corner to minimize the intrusion of dust and moisture under the corner and sealed around all holes with silicone.

5. Here is the corner mounted and awaiting the new round lights. Once mounted and all screws tightened, I ran another bead of silicone along the top edge to prevent the majority of rain from trying to seep in.

6. Here's the corner with the new light. I used a standard trailer light instead of LED for two reasons 1. It cost 1/3 of any LED I could find and 2. Fits exactly the same, no more drilling required and I don't have to take my steering column apart to solder in a bunch of resistors to make my turn signals from blinking at the speed of light. I also used the pigtail from the old box light instead of cutting off the connector from the factory harness, like the directions say. My lights work fine and if I ever have to disconnect them, no wire cutting required.

& 7. Lastly, here's the finished product. On some TJ's, the passenger side will be the biggest problem due to chrysler putting smog stuff just under the spot where you need to cut the hole for the light. BE CAREFUL! And a few of the nuts are in hard to reach spots, so be prepared.

RESULTS!

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for the writeup!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
it doesn't have to be illuminated does it?

great pictures and write up.
I would assume it does, in my state I couldnt pass annual vehicle inspection once because a license plate bulb was burned out..

the vehicle had 2 bulbs, one on each side of the plate, and one was burned out...

they charged me $13.50 JUST FOR ONE .89c bulb.. bastards..

But they wouldnt pass the truck until the bulb was working.

that was in my state..WV your mileage may vary... :)

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
i grew up in wv, but then escaped. i've always wondered about the license plate thing, because stock jeeps don't have a bulb back there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
your original (trailer light) is clear at the bottom for that (license plate light)

·
Registered
353 Posts
corners look good money thanks for the write up! here's a quick pic at what i did for back up lights

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liscense plate lights are also supposed to be required here in california, but it's one of those things the cops don't care about. They don't do an annual inspection here, but if I had to, I would put in some of those liscense plate bolts with built in lights. As far as reverse lights, those LEDs look cool, but do they throw enough light to see by? I was going to get some driving or fog lights and mount them to my bumper, that way I could aim them too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
no you cant see by them although they are fairly bright for one led they are for when the wife takes it to wal-mart and they do look pretty cool! i did mount some small driving lights on the rear of my snow plow truck hooked to my reverse switch and works great for lighting up the backward path.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
GREAT write up! They really look great too! I love the look of the trail corners.

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a word to the wise, No tag light is easy pickings for a cop to stop you just because. Of course you only have to worry about getting stoped if you are breaking the law, but getting stopped just because gets old fast.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Light'n Boltz work great. :)

Fog lamps make great backup lights AND can be run from a switch too for those pesky tailgaters. ;) (Not that I've EVER used em for that ;) ).

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
it's kinda funny in texas....if your car never had plate lights (a lot of cars never came with them) you don't have to have them and cannot receive a ticket for it. however, if you have them and one is burned out, you will get a ticket for it. it's kinda silly, but whatever.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeahhhhh.... I don't like em they kinda look trashy.

LOL J/K they look sweet! Good idea w/ the trailer lights too. Awesome tutorial man.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
it doesn't have to be illuminated does it?

great pictures and write up.
here in oregon were pretty strict about it. mostly cause of officer safty, we can't go up to a car and tell what the plate number is we don't know anything about it at all... Oh, and no white light showing to the rear either unless its a back up litght.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts