Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a set of Trail Grapplers , i know there kinda heavy . I looked up the weight for both :: 70lbs for tire / 44lbs for wheel ... Jeez 114lbs ?? Could this be right for an 18" wheel & 33" tire.. If so my next buy might be a new spare tire carrier.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Unfortunately Nittos are one of the two heaviest tires out there. The second is Toyos. They are both like bricks. Rock stars and Nittos are also expensive making them a popular dealer add on when jacking up the price of a new jeep. Dealers also pay no mind to weight restrictions on the stock hinges. Yours is on the clock if you've got a stock carrier with those.

For reference
285/65/18 33" nittos - 70lbs
315/70/17 35" duratracs - 63lbs
35/1250/15 35" BFG AT - 59lbs
35/1250/17 35" GY MTR - 63lbs

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered ...Teraflex HD Hindged Tire Carrier 4838100 $486.00 ... that hurt

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
That's just about the heaviest combination you can buy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any adverse effects having wheels/tires this heavy ??... I know probably mpg loss, and new spare tire carrier ...anything else?

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
I've been wheeling my combo for a year with no adverse effects. BUT, I wheel carefully. I have truss, Cs and ball joints in a box waiting for install. That would be my suggestion for you too.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Any adverse effects having wheels/tires this heavy ??... I know probably mpg loss, and new spare tire carrier ...anything else?
Ball joints maybe earlier than normal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Acceleration reduced, stopping distance increased. That's a lot of rotational mass to start and stop!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Also add accelerated brake wear, higher load on bearings and shafts. It could be a lot worse though if you were running 37s or even 35s. Just enjoy your new shoes. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also add accelerated brake wear, higher load on bearings and shafts. It could be a lot worse though if you were running 37s or even 35s. Just enjoy your new shoes. :)
Thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
I started out with a set of steel wheels with my 315/70/17 (35") pro comp tires. Because I put that wheel/tire setup on together I assumed it was mostly the big tires causing my loss in mpg, acceleration, etc. Well, I recently swapped out the steel wheels for a set of fuel wheels (alloy) in that are 11 lbs lighter per wheel. Now my jeep feels like stock. It had nothing to do with the big tires... I dropped 11 lbs per wheel and it feels like night and day. Acceleration is better, and maintaining highway speeds is again, just like stock. Crazy, but true.

My suggestion? Lighten up your wheels somehow. That kind of rolling mass is going to be felt, and not in a good way.

-Royce

image-2193100251.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was gonna sell or trade my 18x9 Rockstar II wheels for some Fuel Hostage 18x9s ..BUT they are the same damn weight 38lbs... Im probably just gonna ride this setup out , unless the opportunity come up to trade or sell...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts