Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and his g/f are in Ft. Collins area this weekend visiting my folks. They want to go off-roading tomorrow so looking for a moderate trail we can all go on somewhere near there. I know stuff in my neck of the woods (Denver-Colo Sprgs) but other than Heart Attack Hill, not familiar with Ft. Collins trails.

Twist... he is planning on proposing to his g/f somewhere along the trail, so looking for a trail that is going to have a nice overlook or view that would be appropriate for such an occasion.

Anyone have any suggestions?

They will be in 2015 Rubicon that is mostly stock, might have slightly oversized tires. Dad will be in a slightly lifted 2013 sport with 33's. They are all fairly new when it comes to off-roading, so don't want anything too crazy for them but something challenging. We all did Slaughterhouse Gulch together in the past, and they found that fun, to give an idea on capabilities and experience level. Heart Attack Hill would be fine for them I think, but probably that would be max they would handle. None of us have a winch.

Ordinarily, I would hit up Trail Damage for such a thing, but seems to be paywalled (!?!). I looked at the new interactive map, but I am not familiar with their trail ratings. Everything seems to be "Primitive - 2WD High Clearance" and not quite sure what that means.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
245 Posts
If they don't mind traveling a little bit. I am suggesting pole hill trail just outside Estes park. It's got a great hill climb in and once in there's multiple spots that look out into the mountains.

Just my .01 and a half cents.

-sass

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they don't mind traveling a little bit. I am suggesting pole hill trail just outside Estes park. It's got a great hill climb in and once in there's multiple spots that look out into the mountains.

Just my .01 and a half cents.

-sass
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out...

Any other suggestions? I think they would like to keep it nearby (maybe something up 14 or Red Feather Lakes area or that general region) so we can keep it to a 3/4 day trail max. I'm going to have to drive 100 miles just to get to them, and then do the trail, then go back to folks house, then drive 100 miles back home.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, you know what? $12 a year for the value I have personally gotten out of Trail Damage over the years seems reasonable, so I decided to support them and now have access to the trails again.

I did look up Pole Hill, looks like a good one but I think just too much driving. Still would value any input you guys have.

My back-up right now is Heart Attack Hill, since it's close-ish and would be a good 1/2 day run.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently discovered another website Trails Offroad (trailsoffroad.com). You are able to limit your search by radius which may help you.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Rocky Mountain National Park, Old Falls Road. It is a one way dirt road up to the Alpine visitor center at 11,000ft plus altitude. Then on the way back you take the highway back down. Go to Bear Lake which is very scenic. There is a path all the way around the lake. There is one particular rock that you can get on and is a perfect proposal spot. When I get home from work I can post a pic of the spot. Then you can go to Moraine park and watch the nightly Elk herd.

This "plan" take about 6 hours to do, more if you stop of course. Heck you can even go to the Stanley Hotel in Estes. Up front is an nice area for proposing too. You can go into the lobby and look around. Without being a guest, you are not supposed to go all the way to the 2nd floor.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great suggestions guys! Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
7 mile is up hwy 14

1 - 8 of 8 Posts