Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a Trail Master 2.5" lift kit on there YJ Wrangler. Looking for a 2.5" lift for my Wrangler YJ and 4wheel parts has it for $449.00 and ships to store for free which is a plus as shipping to Hawaii would be outrageous.

·
Registered
565 Posts
the only suspension I've tried on the YJ, other than the tired, worn out, factory stuff is a Fabtech 3 1/2 inch, which was way to stiff for my little lightweight 4cyl soft top

I think the only other company I'd use,besides Old Man Emu which I am very happy with, is BDS..I've heard good thing about them as well but I don't know if they offer a 2 1/2 inch system or if they start out with a 3 1/2 as their smallest lift

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've heard decent things about Rubicon Express' standard 2.5" lift, but it's almost double the price of the Trailmaster kit. It looks like the RE kit comes with a few things that the Trailmaster lift doesn't include, like new brake lines, TC lowering bits, sway bar disconnects and axle/degree shims.

I think this is one of those "you get what you pay for" comparisons.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Bilstein is fantastic. I have their front shocks on my Jeep and rear shocks on my Super Duty (I know, weird combo). My build is fairly pieced together so I can't really recommend a "kit". Old Man Emu is really nice too. I have their springs, and a friend has their shocks on his Toyota.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The only thing I'd change from what jak rak said is spend a couple more bones for the extreme duty re stuff....

It REALLY is worth it....

I had the extreme duty 2.5 w 31's on my yj for years and it was the best riding yj I've ever encountered and the off roar performance was nothing less than amazing for only having 31's.... other guys with much bigger stuff would hit an obstacle and then have to walk back and gather up their cooler and stuff that flew out.... then I would just float over it without spilling my drink.

I now have re extreme duty 4.5" with 1" shackles and 33's and the jeep rides as well and maybe better than my tj with bone stock suspension

I didn't buy the whole kit tho... I bought sorings and peiced together what I wanted...

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Oh and I have run bds 2.5" springs... they are good but are pretty stiff compared to the re springs...

I ended up putting them on my other yj... spring over w ton axles and 38's

I think I eventually sold em and put re on it too but honestly I can't remember.... I haven't touched that jeep in 5 years or better... I know... shame on me....

Here it is flexed out w the bds.... keep in mind that the full width axles and spring over will make em flex more than the would w stock axles and spring under

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The only thing I'd change from what jak rak said is spend a couple more bones for the extreme duty re stuff....

It REALLY is worth it....
Sadly, RE doesn't offer their Extreme Duty package for YJs in a 2.5" lift anymore. The only way to get the Extreme Duty leafs is to go to a 4.5" lift, and I'm not sure the OP wants to go that high.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have the trail master 2.5" lift kit and it's an okay kit but you'll need a transfer case drop kit and the shocks are garbage. I swapped mine out for Bilsteins. Other than that I'm satisfied with the kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have the trail master 2.5" lift kit and it's an okay kit but you'll need a transfer case drop kit and the shocks are garbage. I swapped mine out for Bilsteins. Other than that I'm satisfied with the kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bilstein is all I'll use from now on. I used to run Rancho but not anymore. Rancho makes the best steering stabilizer in my opinion though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With most lift kits I have rode in if feels like you crash every time you hit a bump on the YJs The OME seems to be the one at the top of the list. I'm saving my nickels for one now. If I could find and ride in one that rode like the OME for much less money I would buy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts