Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on finding a trail rack for my Jeep. I'm realizing it's just more than a rack. It appears you need to get the bumper with swing-away rack first? Then you get the actual rack, then add-on accessories? Is this kind of correct? I'm noticing that Wilderness seems the brand to go with.

Thanks,
Dave

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
If you are looking for a rack that sits above your spare tire, then yes, that is the most common route and company. They do make the trail racks that bolt to your tailgate though. I don't know off the top of my head who makes them though, you should try quadratec or 4wheelparts wholesalers for more information/options on those.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i posted a few sites to find parts like that on your new member check in thread. because you asked the question there too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought a rock hard rear bumper with the swing away tire carrier. It also has a bolt on trail rack and two bolt on jerry can carriers, plus a spot for my hi lift jack. I'm really happy with it. Solid, and rattle free. Only drawback was it cost me about $1300 I think.

·
Registered
200 Posts
that is a pretty penny, but it sounds like it was worth it. have fun on the trails with it!!!

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Well if you don't have to have 4 people in the Jeep for trail runs, You can always go to lowes or homedepot and get a big rubber maid storage box or two and tie it down in where you back seat go's. This will hold a ton of stuff. Or if you never have passengers, get one of the big black hard plastic work boxes (@$50) and bolt it in there. That is what I have and it works great.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
4Jeepn said:
Well if you don't have to have 4 people in the Jeep for trail runs, You can always go to lowes or homedepot and get a big rubber maid storage box or two and tie it down in where you back seat go's. This will hold a ton of stuff. Or if you never have passengers, get one of the big black hard plastic work boxes (@$50) and bolt it in there. That is what I have and it works great.
Home made ideas are sometimes better than the fancy aftermarket stuff. It really depends on what your looking to use it for. Frank has a wilderness rack on top that looks great, but adds a lot of weight to his Jeep.

like 4Jeepn said: if you add to your backseat area, be sure to strap down :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the tailgate ones just look cool! Plus they are quite functional for everything they can or do carry. T-minus 2hrs to new Jeep! :D :D

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
A friend of mine has a roof rack that has mounts at the windshield pivot point, and at the rear corners, just above the tail lights. It is easily installed, and easily removed. It does not get in the way of the tailgate area at all. I personally do not like to add any weight to the vehicle, that high. Puts your center of gravity off when trail riding. Not good when off cambering.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought a 'Rock Hard' rear bumper with swing away tire carrier, two jerry can racks, and trail rack. The racks can obviously be removed. Additionally, it has a spot for my hi lift jack and CB antenna. Great product, no rattles. The only drawback is that a standard hitch won't fit in the receiver unless it's cut short on the inserted end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I'm looking at Garvin's Wilderness Rack and bumper system. I'll check out the Rock Hard one too though. I also recently got my Quadratec catalog, you can sure spend a lot of money there, time to shop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts