Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some trail recommendations for a Friday through Sunday trip in late June. I am looking for moderate trail difficulty with in a reasonable drive from the bay area, a couple hours. I would to have a base camp with day excursions of wheeling, not everyone that is going has a capable rig or interest in the off roading. We will have about 20 people. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hope valley has lots of camping spots and trails for days. its up hwy 88 outside of jackson. we camp there alot and always pick a different spot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Thank you! I will check it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
blue lakes is just over an hour drive from jackson. you wont be disappointed it is very beautiful there are many other places but they are further away.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have been in cali for 3 years now and the ohv is awesome im from wisconsin and it was fire roads and mud as well even if your up for a day trip we could set up a day and go

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just got back from a camping/wheeling trip out near Arnold. We camped at Calaveras Big Trees State Park and went wheeling on Corral Hollow. There are tons of trails out there ranging from as easy as graded dirt roads to as difficult as Slickrock Trail within about 30 minutes of the campground. Big Trees is pretty expensive for camping, $35 a night. There are tons of campgrounds in the Stanislaus National Forest, but they've shut off the water due to drought and banned campfires due to last year's Rim Fire. Corral Hollow was awesome. It was the first real wheeling I've done with this rig.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Check out the Shaver lake area!!!!! There are about 10 to 15 lakes from just off the road to having to 4x4 to them.
Just to name a few: Red mountain trailhead has 3 trails....Mirror lake, Strawberry lake, Red lake and from the back of Red..Coyote lake.
Swamp Lake.
Wishon and Courtright lakes. Voyager campground at the north east end of Courtright is the beginning of the Dusy Ershiem trail.
Edison forebay, Edison lake and Florence lake
Spanish Mountain trail.
Brewer lake.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Trails / Camping

Got another one for you. Try Gold Lake area up by Grey Eagle. Take Hwy49 out of Nevada City follow hwy49 for about 1 1/2 hr to Bassets 'turn left to Gold Lakes area. Trails are in Tahoe National Forest. Stop at TNF ranger office on hwy49 in Nevada City to get maps of trails and lakes. Lots of camping spots at different lakes for swimming, fishing and wheeling. You will need permits for camp fires and cook stoves etc. Get it at ranger station or on line. Have fun.

·
Registered
729 Posts
What kind of camping are you looking to do????
Do you need Showers??? Toilets??? or are you looking to rough it????
Oh and I forgot Bald mountain....before I got my new tires I had to go into 4lo on some obsticals but with my new tires I can do the whole trail in 2 whl dr.
Let me know if you are interested as I know of a lot of peeps here that would help.
Clovis 4 whl indepedents, (co-sponsored with Hanford jeepers, Visalia Lock-n-low) just had their midnight madness at bald this weekend. There must have been 3 or 4 hundred rigs from an old flat fender ww2 jeep to ultra4 racing rigs.....crazy!!!!!!
Although, it might be a little far for you. From Fresno Shaver is about 1.5 hours of easy driving, wanna get crazy then a lot less. Let me know as you don't wanna take highway 168 up that is the long way from the north.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like to rough it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts