Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Colorado Jeepers!
A road trip to Colorado is in the works. I'll be driving up from Louisiana, headed for Salida, CO. Completely unfamiliar with the area, so I'm coming to you for some guidance and recommendations on any solid trails or parks in the area. Nothing too extreme, I've got a mild build with 3 inches of lift and 32" tires. Thanks :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can give more details when I get back home to my maps. Drop into the Jeep rental place in Salida and ask for a map, he’ll give a lot of help.

Marshall pass (there is a level 1 side and a level 3 side) and down the west side, to Old Monarch Pass from the west, towards Salida, up and back to Billings Lake.

Thru Back Sage Pass to Pitkin, over Columbia Pass to Tincup, around Taylor Creek Reservoir, over Cottonwood Pass, east with side trip to Cottonwood Lake, down to Buena Vista.

St Elmo, over Tincup Pass (level 3 shelf road) to Tincup, west to Crested Butte, hiway back to Salida.

Aspen Ridge to Buena Vista.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well let me get you some information. As you can see my username is BVJeep. BV as in Buena Vista. Tin cup us closed independently. Major avalanche has closed the road. Cottonwood pas is closed until August 22nd or so. Marshall pass still has snow at the top but it should open soon. All other areas could have snow or avalanches for some time.

Now for the question, when are you coming? This does make a difference. There are so many moderate places to go once the snow is gone. Hancock pass, Hancock lake, Pomeroy lake, Mt Antero, the whole Fourmile area, and so on.

Dates will help with knowing what is open.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
The list I gave is all easy stuff, then you can pick some tougher trails.

I’d probably go to Carnage Canyon early on a Saturday to watch the rock crawlers.

Then if you get back to Salida too early you can visit the micro distillery there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Going west on 50 just past Poncha Springs there are several county roads (112, 122, 120, etc) off to the south from 50 that you can use to fill in the day with another trail.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heard about the snow in general, but the details are worrying. I’m coming out mid Sept. Doing Salida, Lake City, Creede, Silverton, Ouray, Frisco, Canyon City

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You should be fine in September. They should all be open by then

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in college, so I'll most likely be coming before mid-august, when the next semester starts up. Hopefully there are some places open at that time.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm in college, so I'll most likely be coming before mid-august, when the next semester starts up. Hopefully there are some places open at that time.
You should ne fine on most of the trails by then. The only ones that may still be closed are the ones with avalanches. They are starting to clear them now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts