Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one that I think should be added to your list of daytrip excursions from the valley. Dugas Rd is 1hr north of the 101 on I-17, just a bit further north of Bloody Basin Rd, Cordes Junction and AZ-69 (to Prescott). From the highway to the river you are looking at 2.5-3hrs of travel. There is a hot spring at the river leftover from a old resort (probably want to be vaccinated before you enter). I recommend packing a lunch and swim trunks. As with everything, weekdays will be best if you want to avoid "traffic" on the trail.

The scenery is fantastic and right now there are blooming agave everywhere. Lived here all my life and never seen them like that. The road looks unassuming on Google, but not long after passing the Teskeys and Sycamore Creek, it gets rough. Very similar to Backway to Crown King but seemed like I spent way more time in 4LO on this one, due to the "boulders".

We never even made the drop into the Verde River Valley because it would likely take another hour to drop down from the top of the rim and the rains were coming. When we went there were still some muddy spots and my DTs were >< this close to getting us stuck (Difficult to get speed in 4LO and I was concerned about ambush rocks in the puddles). Since we were running solo, I chickened out and headed back.

According to these guys you can link Dugas and Bloody Basin together... likely by FR29 to FR16A to FR269. This can take a you out to Sheep's Bridge and back out on Bloody Basin for an allllll day adventure. Nearly all the available tracks showed up on Google, Gaia and Garmin so should be easily routable on your device of choice. I have not driven the Bloody Basin part so I cannot comment on that part of the journey.

The Whole Enchilada

·
Registered
100 Posts
thanks for the info. I have run the sheeps bridge rd and the blood basin road via the 7 springs road from carefree, but I have not made it that far north yet. That may be my next trip. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have not driven the Bloody Basin part so I cannot comment on that part of the journey.
I've been there last weekend - started at I-17 & Bloody Basin, came down all the way to the Sheep Bridge and returned via Seven Springs.

The view from 34°12'42.0"N 111°53'21.2"W is to die for.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to ask, do you think it's passable in a stock Recon?
I'm the guy that mentioned in your Crown King topic that it might be FUBARed recently. ;)

The info I got was from an old dude at the La Mesa RV, so I can't attest to it's credibility. I've been meaning to go up again. I want to do a through-run all the way to Prescott, so I will need a to block off a whole day for that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm the guy that mentioned in your Crown King topic that it might be FUBARed recently. ;)
I remember :) Truth be told, I had a deja vu for a second right after I pressed "send", but then remembered that conversation.

See, I'm just starting to get out (read the sig), and probably being too paranoid about getting stuck alone, that's why I keep asking the same question. And I'm quite a bit shy to ask anyone else to drive out with me because I don't want to be a burden to them. But well, I'm learning, bit by bit.

And, I was asking about Dugan Rd this time :D

The info I got was from an old dude at the La Mesa RV, so I can't attest to it's credibility. I've been meaning to go up again. I want to do a through-run all the way to Prescott, so I will need a to block off a whole day for that.
You don't plan to take Senator Highway from Crown King, by chance, do you? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts