Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Trail Tool Box Help

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  HoustonAE2 
#1 ·
Okay, so I know this has been talked about to death...but I am needing advice from experienced drivers. I am putting together a toolbox for my rig. I already have a 12k winch and a jerry can on the rig, the space I have to work with is the standard compartment inside the jeep (Glovebox/console/rear compartment) plus two 40mm ammo cans. This is a list of what I have so far

Snatch Block
Tree strap
tow strap
2 D rings
Work Gloves
Duct Tape
WD 40
Jumper Cables
Light Sticks (military grade)
Small shovel
Extra ratchet straps (4)
Bungie cord
3lb hammer
3/4 flat head screwdriver
screw driver/star bit multi set
Small vise grips
Large vise grips
First Aid Kit
11 inch zip ties (pack of 100)
4 inch magnetic tray

One ammo can is completely full and the other is about a 1/3 full. What else would you suggest? What size wrenches/sockets would you include?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
10mm socket will fit most bolts. I see you have duct tape on your list. May I sugget Gorilla tape. It's a lot stronger and sticks to a lot more than regular old duct tape. Being that you're in Texas, you should be able to pick up some bailing wire easily. That's always good for something.

#4 ·
A .38 Police Special or larger is good.

#5 ·
If you aren't going to just carry all of them with you, then you'll want to pick out any unique wrenches/sockets you may need to reach specific places that others can't fit (you'll have to know your vehicle ahead to time to know what sockets you'll need). A shallow socket won't do you any good on a deep stud, nor will a deep socket be suitable for a very confined space. A box end wrench will fit in a spot where you might not be able to fit a socket at all. Sometimes a wobble joint is needed for a socket because you can't fit a box wrench, or a straight socket. You get the idea. It all depends on what components you want to be able to fix/repair. You need to check these out ahead of time and then carry those specific tools with you.

I'd also consider carrying:

Electrical parts/tools (multimeter, spare fuses, connectors, relays, wire)
Adjustable crescent wrench (maybe two - could take the place of several other wrenches)
LED flashlight + spare batteries
Rags and small bottle of GOJO hand cleaner (it's amazing how greasy your hands can get while fixing little things)

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice. So far I have added the following

1/4 MM & SAE ratchet set
Tire Plug Kit
Spare 18 gauge wire and connectors
Small butane torch and spare fuel

The Gorilla Tape is a good idea, was on the fence about that one. As for the rest I am still in the shopping mode, but one problem is my ammo can is getting pretty full...packing this stuff up is a pain.

Keep the ideas coming!

#9 ·
It depends, and that's not the Poise kind. Where and what are you wheeling in? Solo or with a group?

My wife and I do a lot of solo runs, almost all of it in mountains where water is always someplace not too distant. For what it's worth, my check list (this is for a decidedly non-metric Jeep with both a welder and York OBA):

Willys Tools/Supplies

TOOLS:
¼ DRIVE SOCKET SET; Craftsman fine tooth ratchet, Blackhawk breaker bar, Craftsman 1 ½ and 3” extensions, 6 pt sockets 5/32 through 9/16 (Craftsman, Proto and SK)

3/8 DRIVE SOCKET SET; Challenger ratchet, breaker bar and 3” extension, Truecraft 6” extension, universal, 5/8 spark plug socket, 3/8 x ¼ adapter (Wright), 1/8 through 3/8 ball tip hex drive sockets, 3/8 through 1” 12 point sockets (Proto, Blackhawk, Stanley, Husky (USA))

WRENCHS: Craftsman ¼ through 1" combination wrench set, 6 and 10” adjustable wrenches (Crescent and Proto)

PLIERS: 10” Craftsman groove joint, 6.5” Diamond slip joint, 6.5” Klein needle nose, 5” Craftsman diagonal cutters, Visegrip 4LN needle nose, Visegrip 7WR

SCREW DRIVERS: Enderes Combination screw driver (3/16 x ¼ flat blades, #2 x #3 phillips), Yankee flat blade ratchet, General #1 x #2 phillips ratchet

MISCELANOUS TOOLS: Craftsman tire stem tool, Holug wire strippers/crimpers, ball end Allen key set (.050-3/8), 12 oz ball pein hammer, 3 lb engineer’s hammer, Stanley adj hacksaw frame with high speed blades, “Grip” multi tool (has set of insert bits), “Jeep” multitool, Weather Pack terminal tool

MISCELANOUS: three 1” ratchet straps, two Crosby 3/8 cable clamps, Crosby 2” web clevis, ProComp 30’ 7k recovery strap, 10k tree strap, Tmax 8k kg snatch block, set tire deflators, air chuck, blow gun, 25’ Coilhose air hose, tire gage, Mil surplus waterproof match container/matches, Maglite 3D cell flashlight, light and heavy leather gloves, 50’ 12 ga extension cord, Milwaukee 4 ½” magnum grinder, 4 extra grinding discs, welding mask, welding gloves, 50’ #1-0 welding cable.

SUPPLIES/PARTS: WD40, high temp RTV, qt oil, qt 85-140 gearlub, qt power steering fluid, qt brake fluid, Gorilla super glue, blue thread locker, JB weld, can Gojo, roll paper towels, roll toilet paper, six 30 gal trash bags, four 36” “wire ties”, approx 40 4 to 8” wire ties, roll 3M electrical tape, roll duct tape, roll Gorilla tape, roll mechanics wire, hose clamps (one #400, two #236, two #72, two #32, one #28, one #24, two #20, one #16, one # 12), line cap assortment, ten’ 3/8 fuel line, 15’ ¼” high pressure nylon line with approx 15 adapter fittings to adapt to invert flare and 1/8-1/4” NPT), Allen head cap screws (10-32 through 3/8, up to 4” long, 2 each), Nylock nuts (#8 to ½” NF and NC, six each), wire terminals/splices (10-12, 14-16, and 18-20; GM spade, Weather Pack; about 6 each), extra fuses (ATM and SFE), fan belt, 2 drive flanges, about 2 lbs each 1/8” 6011, 6013, 7014, and 7018 welding rod.

GENERAL: TrueTemper double bit axe, Mil Surplus trenching tool, stock jack and lug wrench, 20T bottle jack, Jerry can spout, fire extinguisher (Kidde, 10BC), 50' of #2 welding cable with Tweco quick connect ends for use as jumper cables and welding cables, small and large first aid kits, space blanket, box alcohol wipes, can/bottle opener, matches, bottle 100% DEET, spray can 40% DEET, assortment of bungee cords, Gempler’s tire repair kit. And depending on where I am wheeling, a Stihl 015 or 017 chainsaw.

#10 ·
Solid steel wire (around 16ga, picture hanging wire, but not stranded) Some things get too hot to tie off with tape or tie wraps, and it's stronger.
Pair of diagonal cutters.
12" pry bar
Skip the hacksaw frame, take the blade (or three) wrap tape on the one end.

#11 ·
Skip the hacksaw frame, take the blade (or three) wrap tape on the one end.
Dissenting opinion. If you actually need to cut steel, you need the frame. It a big enough pita cutting steel with a hacksaw to start with and without that frame, you will be cutting forever as it's next to impossible to put any pressure on it. For blades, only high speed steel.

Just my opinion, but you need decent tools for trail use-forget the Harbor Freight stuff. If you do break them on the trail, you may have a long walk to find a replacement. I don't put much of my good stuff in the Jeep, but they need to be at least Craftsman (or maybe the old Craftsman) quality.

#13 ·
So far I am just hitting local trails and parks here in the Houston area. My buddy goes in a ATV, so the tools I have really need to fit a variety of rigs. Right now my box is pretty full, I think I have enough...but then again that ONE tool will never be there when you need it most.

Keep the ideas coming

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.