Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy my travel trailer and need to get my trailer brake controller and wiring harness squared away.

What is everyone using and is there a one stop shopping for everything I need to for the controller to the wiring harness to the 7 pin connector.

I just did a search and read for a couple hours but have not found what I needed.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought the Mopar 7pin harness from Quadratec. It comes with everything but the brake controller. It does run the wires to hook one up though.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much weight? I would not tow anything that requires trailer brakes with any Wrangler.
Dry is 2700lbs, I have no issue towing the max load if both trailer and tow rig are equipped correctly. I've done a lot of home work on the sway/weight dist hitch and all the other complications in the towing with a wrangler. I just have not looked into the brake controller and wiring except for that fact that it is needed.

But just to clarify depending on your local laws, if you would not tow a trailer that requires e-brakes than you probably wont be towing anything besides a garbage utility trailer. NYS requires brakes on trailers weighing over 1000#'s and a GVWR over3000#'s

I bought the Mopar 7pin harness from Quadratec. It comes with everything but the brake controller. It does run the wires to hook one up though.
Thank's, I will check that out.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Do you recognize at 2700# you're already 700# over the capacity of your Jeep ratings? No two door JK has a rating higher then 2000#. You mentioned dry weight, that means nothing else in the trailer, no luggage, no food, no water. Most dry weights on RVs don't necessarily include all of the options. By the time you add anything you'll be way over your ratings.

If a trailer has brake options they are great to have in case of sway. But if you're going to tow over capacity you're putting yourself and others at risk, and shortening the life of your Jeep.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it's fair to assume I'd be towing with my JK since I did not specify but I will be towing with my wife's 2014 JKU that I ordered with the proper gears and all specifically for this reason.
Sorry I suppose I should have specified that in the begging but I am really not wanting to get into a "can I tow this" thread, just looking for brake controller info.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I guess it's fair to assume I'd be towing with my JK since I did not specify but I will be towing with my wife's 2014 JKU that I ordered with the proper gears and all specifically for this reason. Sorry I suppose I should have specified that in the begging but I am really not wanting to get into a "can I tow this" thread, just looking for brake controller info.
my advice is get the MOPAR 7 pin harness that is available for the JK. got mine from Amazon for about $80 shipped. that includes everything you need except the actual controller. pretty much a plug and play since it's mopar. i order all my trailer needs from Etrailer.com. great prices and service. i am partial to Tekonsha Prodigy controllers. whatever you get, make sure it's a proportional model- much better performance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Where are you guys mounting the controller? I recently bought a controller but I'm having a hard time finding a spot to put the thing that looks decent and is easy to use.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my advice is get the MOPAR 7 pin harness that is available for the JK. got mine from Amazon for about $80 shipped. that includes everything you need except the actual controller. pretty much a plug and play since it's mopar. i order all my trailer needs from Etrailer.com. great prices and service. i am partial to Tekonsha Prodigy controllers. whatever you get, make sure it's a proportional model- much better performance.
Thank you, that is very helpful, especially about the proportianal model, I will check out e-trailer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have used the Tekonsha Prodigy for years on several vehicles with good results. Have not used it on a Jeep but i imagine it would work just as well.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep got it and am now looking at the recommended controller.
Let me ask though, e-trailer website says I'll need to purchase additional wiring kit for the controllers, will that be necessary if I am to buy the Mopar harness from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Whew! Glad your not towing with your JK. I'll second the Tekonsha Prodigy what ever you finally go with make sure its not a timer based controller, you won't find many but some dealerships still go cheap if they install those as a package. The basic Tekonsha Prodigy P2 does just fine but if you want the newer P3 is a great and not much more. Prices on Amazon are a bit cheaper, if your a prime member that's probably the way to go. Takes a bit to wire any rig to get the wiring up to the dash area and to the battery, but worth it.

What trailer are you getting?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just installed 7 pin harness and Tekonsha p2 controller. Towing an Aliner Ranger 12 pop up. Trailer weight is around 1900 loaded with all the camping stuff. Jeep is 15 JKU 3.73 gears 315/75/16 duratracs 1.5 TF spring lift. The controller is great. Mounted on the lower dash on right side of steering column. Looking to regear soon. 4.10 or 4.56 not sure which. Jeep wasn't doggin it. But im in fl. Going up mountains might suck.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whew! Glad your not towing with your JK. I'll second the Tekonsha Prodigy what ever you finally go with make sure its not a timer based controller, you won't find many but some dealerships still go cheap if they install those as a package. The basic Tekonsha Prodigy P2 does just fine but if you want the newer P3 is a great and not much more. Prices on Amazon are a bit cheaper, if your a prime member that's probably the way to go. Takes a bit to wire any rig to get the wiring up to the dash area and to the battery, but worth it.

What trailer are you getting?
I am a prime member and will check that, thanks.
I'm not completely set as we have changed our minds back and forth from the R-pod 179 to the Jayco 17a or Jayco 16rb. All around the same weight and size just floor plans a little different. It's really the wifey that needs to sh!t or get off the pot but I'm sure you know how that is.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I've spent way too much time trying to figure out what I actually need. I already ordered the 7-pin Mopar harness. So, what you're are saying is, the ONLY thing else I need to buy is a controller? Nothing else? Is it plug and play, or am I still going to have to splice a wire to the brake switch and also run a power lead from the controller to the battery? Is there a plug and play harness from the controller to the Mopar harness? I haven't seen a clear answer. I just don't want to order more than I need. Trying to keep it as clean of install as possible. Any clear help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
@Roaddawg1

I got the Mopar 7 pin harness, a Strike Force Zebra CB Mount and a Tekonsha P3. I extended the lines from the P3 to pass along the windshield frame and down into the engine compartment. The red wire stayed in the cab and was soldered to the white with tan stripe wire in the brake switch.

The 7 wire harness was short for my JKU based on how I ran it, so I spliced some extra wire to connect it to my sPOD which is on the drivers side. I wired the P3 to the sPOD as well since it needs a breaker and not a fuse, which is what the sPOD does for me, since I got the SE with Mosfets rather than regular fuses.

The blue wire in the 7 pin harness was connected to the blue wire in the Tekonsha harness.

I used the metal bracket to connect the P3 to the bracket and it's solid as a rock. I have quick access to the manual brake as does my passenger in case the shtf.

I don't like that the 7 pin harness hangs lower than the 4 pin, but I will move it when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts