Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out fellow Jeepsters. I have the factory tow package with a 4 pin connector. I'd like to have a 7 pin connector and controller so I can tow a trailer with an e-brake. Does this require a complete re-wiring? How did you do it?

·
Registered
21,771 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I installed the MOPAR 7 pin wiring harness myself. Easy to do. Instruction no are not the best but still very easy. I have not installed a brake controller yet.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?
Around(1 4x4 shop) here, you(me) get ripped off. If I remember right it was about $400. I had 2 days to get it done, and took it. Just call any trailer hitch place.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Do a search. Mopar sells the kit for 7 pin. I got mine off amazon for $80. Installed it myself in about an hour. It plugs into the left tail light, then there's a wire you route to the engine compartment for power and ground. Finally, a brake controller wire goes through firewall up under steering wheel for your brake controller. Very easy and plug and play.

Mopar 82210214AB

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Jeep-Accessories-82210214AB-Trailer/dp/B005JDH114

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was going to do this myself..

The instructions do not look hard at all..

I have the mopar 7 pin harness if you are looking for one.
I decided to go with the 4 pin since i have a one ton truck tow with..

·
Registered
67 Posts
i bought the Mopar kit as well. The install was straightforward except for the underdash bit. There is no room in the footwell of a Jeep! I ended up removing my driver's seat so i could get under the dash. I'm pulling an offload trailer with an onboard battery so connected the power lead so that i can charge the trailer battery while i'm driving. I connected this power lead to my spod so i can switch trailer power on and off when i need to and thus stop the trailer from accidentally draining my jeep battery. Using a Prodigy P3 brake controller which is relatively small. i ended up putting it just below the sway bar disconnect switch etc on the left lower side of the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts