Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a Jeep Wrangler Sport 2013 and I am moving from Miami to Las Vegas. I need to know if there is a federal motor law for towing a trailer with a soft top car.
I want to move few things and I was thinking just to rent a small storage trailer.
What are your recommendations and knowledge about this?
I appreciate any help!

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
684 Posts
There is no law but some companies(Uhaul, etc) will not rent a trailer to be pulled by a convertible. It's more of a liability(insurance) issue.
It's also one of the reasons the JK/JKUs are rated to tow less than other vehicles(ie. Grand Cherokee) with similar components.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
sell your old stuff & give the rest away....start a new life in Vegas with the seed bucks you save not dragging the past all the way from Fla.....at least that's what worked best for me decades ago....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Have a buddy with a truck pick up the trailer and bring it to your house, then use your jeep to move to Vegas. Don't exceed the weight limits of your rig and be careful!

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
A phone call to U-Haul or whomever you intend to deal with may save you some leg work. There is no DOT law about pulling with a soft top. And the wrangler does have a roll bar system that equals for the most part the average automobile or pick-up in strength, they may take that into consideration. I pull trailers frequently with ours.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I used drive a lot of cross country trips and saw a fair share of uhaul trailers wrecked. Uhaul and others don't want the liability when their trailer wrecks a sof top vehicle causing injury. Has nothing to do with the towing capabilities of the Jeep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts