Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to trailer my TJ from Colorado to California and was wondering if anyone could post some pics of the location that they tied down their rig.....specifically around the axle. I just bought some axle tie downs and although I can figure it out I am sure, its always good to get anyone with experience to chime in with their .02

...however I am not trying to start the whole debate on which is the better way of securing your rig to a trailer. I just want a few pics or some insight where you wrapped the straps around the axle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm not trying to change the subject, but does your Jeep not have front tow hooks? I tow my Jeep frequently (sometimes hundreds of miles at a time) and that's how I anchor the nose. For the tail, I use holes in the bottom of the frame.

I've thought about buying axle straps, but I have not gone through with it yet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not trying to change the subject, but does your Jeep not have front tow hooks? I tow my Jeep frequently (sometimes hundreds of miles at a time) and that's how I anchor the nose. For the tail, I use holes in the bottom of the frame.

I've thought about buying axle straps, but I have not gone through with it yet.
Yes on my bumpers I have recovery shackles but wasnt sure if I wanted to use them.....it just seems a little sketchy to me to us the bumper as a tie down point.

...I also considered using the holes in the frame....but again wasnt sure if I wanted to go that route.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yes on my bumpers I have recovery shackles but wasnt sure if I wanted to use them.....it just seems a little sketchy to me to us the bumper as a tie down point.

...I also considered using the holes in the frame....but again wasnt sure if I wanted to go that route.
Don't attempt to tie down from bumpers or frame. The suspension travel will work to loosen the straps. Tie down from wheels, and axles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Use axle straps ONLY, otherwise you run a chance of the tie downs coming loose as the suspension moves during transit. I speak from some serious experience, towing my classic cars thousands of miles. You will never see a commercial hauler with his chains or straps fixed to any point where the chassis can bounce and loosen the tie downs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A buddy of mine moved across country with a Penske truck and trailer for the Jeep. Here was his experience

Penske Car Carrier Trailer Rental W/Large Tires: My Experience - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Thanks for the link!!! This is exactly the type of info I needed. I am almost doing the same thing but with a 26' Uhaul. I wanted to go with penske too but they didnt have a drop off location where I am moving to.

Don't attempt to tie down from bumpers or frame. The suspension travel will work to loosen the straps. Tie down from wheels, and axles.
Use axle straps ONLY, otherwise you run a chance of the tie downs coming loose as the suspension moves during transit. I speak from some serious experience, towing my classic cars thousands of miles. You will never see a commercial hauler with his chains or straps fixed to any point where the chassis can bounce and loosen the tie downs.
I agree...this is why I picked up some heavy duty axle straps from 4WheelParts. I have towed many things but never a TJ 1500 miles.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
On the rear axle, you have to stay clear of the brake line. So the best place for a binder chain on the rear axle is go over the top of the pinion (on the housing) and then down under the tubes. You can do the front axle too.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There are arguments both ways on this topic:

Don't attempt to tie down from bumpers or frame. The suspension travel will work to loosen the straps.
Use axle straps ONLY, otherwise you run a chance of the tie downs coming loose as the suspension moves during transit.
Sure, if you are boneheaded enough to not tighten your straps. When you tighten your straps properly, the vehicle's suspension keeps the straps snug--there is no resulting suspension movement to loosen anything. Furthermore, pre-loading the suspension in this manner makes the Jeep much more stable on the trailer.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
There are arguments both ways on this topic:
Sure, if you are boneheaded enough to not tighten your straps. When you tighten your straps properly, the vehicle's suspension keeps the straps snug--there is no resulting suspension movement to loosen anything. Furthermore, pre-loading the suspension in this manner makes the Jeep much more stable on the trailer.
Probably fine for a Hwy, but if you trailer down a gravel road with washboards, pot holes, etc...much safer/secure to go around the axles.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Forget the trailer, get a quote from U ship. By the time you rent the trailer and drive, getting about 7mpg, it would be less trouble and less expensive than hauling the jeep yourself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
With any nylon straps, they will stretch. So frequent checks are necessary. When I towed my car on a tow dolly, for the first few hundred miles I would stop about once an hour to retighten the straps. Eventually they stopped stretching. I dragged my car around on a tow dolly for 5 years then we bought the OllllO and flat tow it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ForumRunner_20150326_151323.jpg

This is with one over the front axle and one over the back axle. I pulled it from Tyler, TX to Ouray, CO and back. I'll be buying axle straps with 4 ratchets, one at each corner of the axles, before I take it that far again. It was secure the whole 16 hour trip, but it just isn't the most ideal or strongest setup. I definitely would not hook to bumpers unless it was with chains and there was no other option, as previously stated it shock loads your chains and straps, works loose and in my opinion is hard on your springs to keep them sucked down that long.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Axle or frame...nylon straps or chain. I like tie down discussions.

I use it all. Chain on the rear axle, ratchet straps and j - hooks to the front frame holes. My straps have safety latches on the hooks and will not be popping off the trailers d rings.
Pretty sure some frame holes and j -hooks are made for securing the Jeep during it's first journey from the factory. Maybe.
It's been working for years. Seems everyone in my club has their own way of tieing down their Jeeps. No one has lost a jeep yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Definetly to the axles not the frame or bumpers, you want the suspension to float free like the vehicle was going down the road naturally. Binding down from the frame or bumpers can cause frame damage on long trips especially on rough roads, (I've seen this first hand) I've hauled vehicles thousands of miles without problem and I've never frame or bumper tied a vehicle.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for their insight and pics.

lol looks like I inevitably started the debate....sorry bout that for those who get frustrated with that kind of thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts