Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.. I'm having an issue with my Jeep. Go figure huh? I live in north Illinois, so we get some pretty cold winters. Lately, When I start the Jeep in the morning, when its freezing out, I hear a loud sound coming from the trans, that sounds like something is spinning loose. But once she warms up, the noise stops. If I was to try and put it into gear while its making that sound, I hear a grinding noise for a second, then it goes in gear. Once in gear, the sound stops, and it can shift normally. My only thought is possibly a clogged up filter.. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :punk:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would try flusing it out first, when the oil gets really dirty it can gel in the cold. I've heard some people flush it with Kerosine or other solvents then refill it. I have yet to try it this spring when it's warmer out. My Jeep complains a little in the cold mornings too, I do not even try to shift it when it's dead cold, forcing it never works out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
what you are hearing is the front pump scavenging for oil, you definitely need to change fluid and filter, flush. Also try leaving it warm up in neutral instead of park. Mopar transmissions won't flow much oil in park.

·
Registered
892 Posts
what you are hearing is the front pump scavenging for oil, you definitely need to change fluid and filter, flush. Also try leaving it warm up in neutral instead of park. Mopar transmissions won't flow much oil in park.
I thought most AT's P is just N + parking lock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think what I'm gonna do is, just do what terry said and flush and change the filter and fluid. Then, if something is up after the fact, I'll go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts