Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my tranny on my YJ (4.0, 5-spd) starting making awful noises.
With the trans in neutral and the clutch released, it makes a grinding noise and wants to start moving, with the clutch to the floor the are no noises.
Shifting from first to second is also rough, and when engaging makes a grinding noise and a final clunk.
Shifting from 3 to 4 to 5 seems just fine.
Reverse is the same as shift into first gear.
I checked and replaced the fluid, I didn't notice any metal pieces in the fluid, albeit very brown. But nothing I wouldn't expect with 162,00 miles.
These symptoms came very suddenly, there was no warning, just started the other day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My father has suggested the slave cylinder, and my mechanic neighbor suggested a tranny rebuild, we're grabbing at straws here. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Syncros could be going out

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
only way to really tell is to dig into it.

My impression is trans failure, something may be out of whack or broken; I suppose even front bearing could be an issue.

I would pull it apart and check it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mine will do the exact same thing unless its cold out lol. Thicker oildo because of the temp helps me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took everything apart, tranny out and everything inspected. Slave cylinder is fine, pressure plate is fine, clutch disc is worn and needs replacing but is not the problem.
Now my Jeep is completely dismantled and all over the floor of my father's garage and the tranny is on the way to be rebuilt.
I've done transmissions before, but this thing was a bear.
And what idiot put two E-torx bolts on top of the bell housing and didn't tell me?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
LOL, oh, btw someone thought that would be a good idea.

You didnt find anything?

The thing that throws me is the "With the trans in neutral and the clutch released, it makes a grinding noise and wants to start moving, with the clutch to the floor the are no noises. " That seems to imply a few problems, from the throwout bearing/slave cylinder, to their being a problem in the transmission. Neutral should mean neutral, and if its trying to move forward then its still in gear somehow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gasket help.

Is there a gasket I between the transfer case and transmission? Or is it just RTV? The shop that rebuilt them for me separated them and told me to pick up a gasket. but the guy at the desk at the auto parts store said he didn't have one in the system and I can't seem to find one on Quadratec.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I think I used rtv, and with the seals I dont think even that is necessary.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
No gasket required. It is direct fit. With all new seals no issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts