Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....I think. Getting a loud "click" in 5th gear only so it seems tranny related. First thought was a broken gear tooth, but I'm only getting it about once every 3 seconds at 2000-2200 rpm. Way too far apart for a gear tooth. Also just getting it under load. Back off the gas and it stops. Tranny repairman said it was new to him, so before he pulls it, I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced a noise like that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Weird that it is only 5th gear, but you say its only under load.....that sounds like exaust leak, Check the manifold for leaks.

(edit..........I just read properly and see you said "click".......sorry no ideas here)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

"Just a thought here, but if it is not too loud have a look at your trip odometer. My dad had his reset button stuck halfway in and it clucked while we drove. It drove me nuts for an hour until I figured it out."

Not a bad idea. Now that you mention it I had another vehicle once with a speedometer cable that was binding and then popping loose. It's a longshot, but I just want to be sure I've checked all these external possibilities before I actually pull and go into the tranny. Also thought I would put the vehicle up on jack stands this weekend and try to duplicate the sound while I watch underneath......from a distance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts