Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all.... i have a 97tj with a 2.5L 4bangger and an ax5 tranny.... can i use 80W90 or do i need to take out a second morgage and get the 75W90???

·
Knows a couple things...
49,382 Posts
Be cautious here, not all gear lubes are suitable for the AX-5 or AX-15 transmission. Most gear lubes are GL-5 and most of those are too harsh for the transmission's synchronizers. Only a few GL-5 gear lubes like Royal Purple's synthetic 75W-90 is free of the harsh additives that make a GL-5 what it is.

I would spend the slight extra $$$ for either Redline MT-90 which is a GL-4 75W-90 or go with Royal Purpole or Amsoil 75W-90... both of which say they are "compatible with the soft yellow metals used in some transmissions" like the AX-5 and AX-15 use for their gear synchronizers.

Or you can go with synthetic 10W-30 motor oil which has recently been added by Aisin as a suitable lubricant for the AX-5 and AX-15. 10W-30 motor oil is similar to 75W-90 gear lube in terms of their viscosities. Gear lube and motor oil viscosities are measured differently so 10W-30 motor oil is pretty much the same viscosity as 75W-90 gear lube.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not the news i wanted guys lol... oh well i guess its better to know not than after i eff something up

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i live in windsor.... its canada's southernmost city but its still canada lol usually hovers around freezing in the winter but can get down to 0F when it gets nasty

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its been suggested that 80w90 mixed with a bottle of lucas couls be good. any thought?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm running MT-90, and it really smoothed out my shifts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts