Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your honest opinions. I bought a used 2008 4 door JK and it needs a new tranny (bad synchros). However, the warranty company will only pay $1500 for a used one (manual). It has 10k miles on it and that is all I know. I can upgrade to a new one for $500 more. Additionally, I can pay another $400 to get a new clutch kit installed.

Suggestions? You guys are the experts so let me know what you think.

TIA

·
Registered
353 Posts
if you got the dough, new is probably the best bet.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Since whoever had it before you beat it to death you better go for the new trans. for the extra $ and clutch kit. I bet the original doesn't have long to go.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is pretty minor right now.....it occasionally grinds going into 2nd and 3rd, but not really enough to know there is a problem to someone who doesn't know cars. I originally took it in for a clicking sound when I push in the accelerator after a shift and they came back with the synchro issue. I don't even know if the clicking noise I took it in for will get fixed.

Another question I have is why can't the synchros just be replaced?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anything other than synchros wrong with the old one according to the shop? Id throw in a new clutch depending on the condition of the old one. Hard to really say go with new everything without knowing the condition of the trans and clutch. New does sound good though if cash isn't a prob.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to ask some additional questions of the Jeep service dept. I bought this thing used at a Chevy dealer. I was under the assumption everything would be covered and new, so I didn't really care about asking any questions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Doh...hope u get the majority of it covered. If u got it cheap enough 900 extra for new trans and clutch prob not too bad. Does the jeep seem like it took a beating or seem pretty well cared for? Wondered if someone put the wrong oil in the trans and just ate up the synchros.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, it's pretty immaculate inside and out. And I got it for $19995. There were some scratches on the bumper and fender flares, and a dent in one of the tube side steps, but other than that, looks really good. The engine is really clean and runs nice. It drives great too. Just the slight grinding caused by the synchros and the clicking I mentioned.

It also has the acceleration hesitation, but sounds like that is a JK thing. One other thing I noticed, but may just be a Jeep thing too: it's really rusty underneath (muffler, exhaust pipe, diffs, anything metal really). Don't know if someone liked to drive through streams or something. :confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
10k miles it sounds pretty good. Was thinking just to be safe maybe having the transfer case drained and both axles just so you know the condition of the oil and have service check the condition of the drain plugs for excessive metal filings while the warranty is still good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine doesn't look horrible underneath but doesn't look new either at 54,000. Where I live in TX they don't use road salt opposed to IN so I'm not sure what mine would have looked like by now if we did ;)

I lived up in the Toledo/Detroit area up until 7 years ago and all of my cars got a little rusty looking underneath after a good winter or two. I don't miss this at all ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, you would go for the used tranny with only 10k miles on it? I'm sure draining everything will cost me a pretty penny as well. The manufacturer's warranty is expired, so I just have the 2 year/100k powertrain warranty through the selling dealer and an extended 36k/3 year warranty that I purchased (and thank god I did).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I completely read the mileage part of this post wrong. Thought the JK you bought only had 10k on it. It's a hard call on a used trans even at 10k if you don't know its history. I'd opt for the new one just to be safe but that's just my opinion ;) I've had both good and bad luck with used parts in the past.

The most annoying thing for me with a bad used part is the loss of time and use of the vehicle if the part fails quickly and for me usually having to do the job again myself. One time is kinda fun but twice gets kind of agitating lol.

You could also drain the axles and transfer case yourself fairly easily to save some cash. The Dana axles have drain plugs where you can drain the fluid without pulling the covers. The transfer case just has two plugs, one for fill and one for drain that are easily accessible.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, threatened legal action and the next thing I know, the service advisor at the Jeep dealer called to inform that the dealer I bought it from requested NEW parts to be ordered! :punk:

Now, do I go for the clutch kit at $388 while they are in there with the tranny taken apart, or do I assume it's ok and pay $800 later IF the clutch goes out? I only ask this cause since the tranny went out, there is a chance the clutch will go too.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Definitely go with the new clutch. It would be worth the peace of mind for me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when did you buy the jeep? back in 2008?

what did the 1st owner do that decimated the tranny in 2 years?
I just bought it in November. I have no idea what the first owner did with it. It's really not that bad, it's kind of in the initial stages of going out. I bought it at Hubler Chevy in Indianapolis.

Definitely go with the new clutch. It would be worth the peace of mind for me.
There's two Yea's to no Nea's.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Well, threatened legal action and the next thing I know, the service advisor at the Jeep dealer called to inform that the dealer I bought it from requested NEW parts to be ordered! :punk:

Now, do I go for the clutch kit at $388 while they are in there with the tranny taken apart, or do I assume it's ok and pay $800 later IF the clutch goes out? I only ask this cause since the tranny went out, there is a chance the clutch will go too.
The original owner probably rode it to death. Get the new clutch. Are you sure you're not talking about the distinctive 2 clicks that a JK manual trans. is supposed to make when you shift it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts