Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill start by saying any help is greatly appreciated! 97 wrangler 2.5 4cyl 5 speed. My girlfriend has this jeep that is currently stuck in gear, and the clutch isnt disengaging, every time you try to start it rolls off the starter even when the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor. Second, its stuck in gear. It doesnt matter what you do to the shifter its always in gear, weather in neutral position, 1st to 5th, its stuck in a forward gear. Anyone have any ideas on whats happening here? I believe the slave cylinder laid an egg for the clutch problem, as for the trans, the linkage is connected at the top of the trans.The only way it will start is if the transfer case in the neutral position. Thanks again for any help!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Is there any oil in the transmission? It's possible you have a gear locked onto the mainshaft which is causing two gears to be engaged at the same time, or just the one that's stuck while it's in neutral. That could be from either a broken shifter fork on one set of gears or the tranny ran dry the gear may have just welded itself to the mainshaft. As for the clutch, yeah sounds like either the master/slave cylinder or the throwout bearing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has been sitting for a while and almost all the bellhousing bolts were loose so when the clutch pedal was pressed the trans was moving away from the engine. tightened the bolts up and still nothing. does the same thing.. is there only shifter for in the trans or mutiple. im gonna start tearing into it next week and itll be nice knowing what im looking for. Thanks guys

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not sure on these transmissions, haven't had mine out yet, but some you can actually see the shifter forks from the top once you have the shifter off, then again some you have to pull the shifter and the top plate to see the forks. Had similar happen to my Dodge truck once, all of a sudden I had no gear selection, and it was always in the same gear. Pulled the tranny and top shifter inspection plate and found that the shifter fork was loose on the shift rail, the roll pin that holds the fork to the rail had broken. Knocked the old pin the rest of the way out and dropped a new one in and good as new. Will just depend on if you can get to it with it in the Jeep or not.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago and had the Jeep towed to a shop. They never did anything to it because it started working again. But I have a Jeep shop manual and found this in the clutch area.
IMPROPER CLUTCH RELEASE OR ENGAGEMENT
Clutch release or engagement problems are caused
by wear, or damage to one or more clutch components.
A visual inspection of the release components
will usually reveal the problem part.
Release problems can result in hard shifting and
noise. Items to look for are: leaks at the clutch cylinders
and interconnecting line; loose slave cylinder
bolts; worn/loose release fork and pivot stud; damaged
release bearing; and a worn clutch disc, or pressure
plate.
Normal condensation in vehicles that are stored or
out of service for long periods of time can generate
enough corrosion to make the disc stick to the flywheel,
or pressure plate. If this condition is experienced,
correction only requires that the disc be
loosened manually through the inspection plate opening.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago and had the Jeep towed to a shop. They never did anything to it because it started working again. But I have a Jeep shop manual and found this in the clutch area.
IMPROPER CLUTCH RELEASE OR ENGAGEMENT
Clutch release or engagement problems are caused
by wear, or damage to one or more clutch components.
A visual inspection of the release components
will usually reveal the problem part.
Release problems can result in hard shifting and
noise. Items to look for are: leaks at the clutch cylinders
and interconnecting line; loose slave cylinder
bolts; worn/loose release fork and pivot stud; damaged
release bearing; and a worn clutch disc, or pressure
plate.
Normal condensation in vehicles that are stored or
out of service for long periods of time can generate
enough corrosion to make the disc stick to the flywheel,
or pressure plate. If this condition is experienced,
correction only requires that the disc be
loosened manually through the inspection plate opening.
Stuck clutch could be a possibility, but he seems to be saying that it's engaged in gear at all times even when it's in the neutral position, in neutral even if the clutch is stuck you shouldn't have a gear engaged. Maybe I'm reading the original post wrong, or maybe he has more than one problem...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Sounds like the clutch fork broke.
Tim if he has the shifter in N it shouldn't matter what the clutch fork is doing .....should it? Seems to me like it has to be a problem with the tranny, either the linkage or internal. Especially if it will start with the transfer case in N. Kinda sounds to me like the other end of the shifter broke off on the inside of the case. Gorilla shift it to hard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts