Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE, so yes it?s a 4 banger 5 speed *sigh* lol, anyways I?ve been reading mixed things in what to use and how much to use of each of these fluids and was hoping I can get more of a definitive answer. I know a lot of people say 10w-30..

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE, so yes it?s a 4 banger 5 speed *sigh* lol, anyways I?ve been reading mixed things in what to use and how much to use of each of these fluids and was hoping I can get more of a definitive answer. I know a lot of people say 10w-30..
Here you go, this should help. For the AX5 trans I and many others will highly recommend Redline MTL, it's not normally available locally but Summit Racing is a good source.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/jeep-wrangler-fluid-capacities.html

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
For your AX5 transmission, a synthetic 10W-30 is an approved lubricant. Redline is a great source for a superb transmission lube, their synthetic MT-90 is the lube that precisely meets its specifications and you can find it on Amazon.com. Redline's MTL is also superb but it's actually a better choice for the NV3550 and NSG370 transmissions, not so much your AX5.

For your axles, any gear lube with a GL-5 rating will work well. 70W-80 75W-90, 85W-120, 85W-140, etc.. You can run the lower viscosities most of the time, run the heavier viscosities if you tow a trailer. I prefer a non-synthetic gear lube in my axles as it has been shown to help the ring & pinion gears run cooler than if they're in a synthetic gear lube. That's not the case for your transmission though where a synthetic is recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts