Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would have never attempted this without reading all you guys on here talk about how easy it is to pull the trans, so I did it. My jeep would start out in any gear but when going down the road I could go out of one gear but it wouldn't go into any other gear when dirviing. But it would go into any gear when parked. I changed the slave and master cylinder, no change. So I thought it as a clutch issue. I pulled the transmission and just took the clutch off, but it sure doesn't look like there is any damage or issues with the clutch and the throw out bearing look fine. I have a new clutch ready to go in. Do I go ahead and put the new clutch in and put it back together or should I look at something else. Any suggestions on what I should do?

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
What year and motor do you have? It may have just needed the oil changed depending on what tranny you have. It sounds like synchro issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I would not just add fluid, better to drain what you have and start fresh.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Pull your shifter, first. If u can see inthere check for debris and or mud- i had a metric crap ton of it in mine. Second, i think your syncros are going out. This is not something you can replace easily.
I dont think its your clutch...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Def sounds like synchro issues can you float the tranny by rev matching and not using the clutch?? If you can proly 100% synchros gone

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Two things... first, make sure to replace the pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel. That allows the transmission's input shaft to slow down sufficiently between shifts or when the clutch pedal is down so the transmission can be shifted. Next, make sure the clutch hydraulic system is pushing the slave cylinder's output piston far enough & with enough force to disengage the clutch.

One more thing while things are apart & before you bolt the new clutch & pressure plate in place, lightly scour the flywheel's surface with either emory cloth or a mild sandpaper to remove any glazing on its surface that may be present.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys,
I couldn't shift by rev matching or double clutching. The only reason I don't think it is the syncro's is because I wouldn't think the syncros would go out on every gear at the same time.

I think the clutch kit comes with the pilot bearing, so I'll change that also. I put a new Master and Slave cylinder in last week, and it seems to be functioning fine.
Thanks for the heads up on the scoure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I pulled my transmission, changed the clutch and while I was in there I changed all my fluids. There wasn't a pilot bearing in the fly wheel. I'm surprised it wasn't louder.
Bad news - I still can't down shift.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Do I pull the tranny again and take it to a shop?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts