Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my o8 wrangler 1 week,36000 miles 6 speed manual.When stopped & in neutral, when shifting to 1st gear 2 times the trans grinded when shifting to 1st gear, but other than the 2 times it shifts fine. Is this normal. Thank's for any advice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have had my o8 wrangler 1 week,36000 miles 6 speed manual.When stopped & in neutral, when shifting to 1st gear 2 times the trans grinded when shifting to 1st gear, but other than the 2 times it shifts fine. Is this normal. Thank's for any advice.
Could possibly be low fluid.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
It could be a few things, here are some.

Was the clutch pushed all the way down to the floor? If not that can cause grinding.

Is the fluid level full?

If it happens more frequently and the clutch is fully depressed, and the fluid level is full, it could indicate the clutch is not fully releasing. At that point I would bleed the clutch, if that doesn't work odds are you'll need a clutch.

Check the fluid and make certain you push the clutch all the way to the floor, if it doesn't happen again don't sweat it.

·
Retired Moderator
100,487 Posts
It could be a few things, here are some.

Was the clutch pushed all the way down to the floor? If not that can cause grinding.

Is the fluid level full?

If it happens more frequently and the clutch is fully depressed, and the fluid level is full, it could indicate the clutch is not fully releasing. At that point I would bleed the clutch, if that doesn't work odds are you'll need a clutch.

Check the fluid and make certain you push the clutch all the way to the floor, if it doesn't happen again don't sweat it.
X2, It sounds like the clutch is not releasing.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It could also be that the first gear synchronizers are shot. This usually doesn't happen on a transmission until it hit 100K miles or more. But it's possible on a low mileage transmission that's been run with low fluid for too long.

If it's grinding often when you go directly into 1st gear, try shifting into 2nd and then 1st. If that causes it not to grind, then your first gear synchros are shot and they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm pretty sure the clutch in the JK is a sealed system. I don't think that there's any way to either check or refill the clutch fluid level.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
I'm pretty sure the clutch in the JK is a sealed system. I don't think that there's any way to either check or refill the clutch fluid level.
Correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts