Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, need to do my SYE install, attempted to remove the trans skid plate, but one bolt broke off, five spin, welds broke off, any help, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Two choices. 1, drill through the hole and frame and run a piece of all thread through the frame. 2. Cut a hole in the frame, reweld the bolt on the inside, fill the hole in.
I've done both.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If 5 bolts are spinning the welded nut on the inside of the frame broke. If there is some room between the bottom frame and the skid plate upper lip you can cut the bolt, maybe enough room for a hacksaw or saws-all. That will drop them out. Then you're going to have to "re-weld" the nuts back on the frame.

Getting this done correctly and safely is priority, put your SYE on hold for now. I've seen pics of guys who have done this wrong and the trans plate broke while driving bc of the weight, you can imagine the damage it caused. If you do the threaded stem option mentioned above, make sure you only use grade 8 hardware, nothing less.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Those are viable options. Or you cut the heads off grind down the remainder til you can whack it into the frame and get some new rivet nuts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quadratec sells new frame sections for this area.

I used new rivet nuts and grade 8 bolts to fix mine. I used antiseize and torqued them to the proper spec.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did what 95YamJam did. I used a grinder to make slices across the nuts that wer in the frame. Then I drove them out with a hammer. This created an indentation in the frame. Then I made plates of 1/8" steel with holes in the center. To those plates I welded heavy flange nuts. Then I drove those nuts into the dents in the frame until the plates bottomed out against the frame. Finally I welded around the edge of the plates, ground the welds out, and painted.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great options guys, going to check tractor supply for class 8 hardware to go through and through, the welding deff a better option, but mine is an offroad YJ only, if I can't find the appropiate hardware it will be welding time.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts