Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the normal, not towing temperature for the automatic transmission? Mine was 165° the other day and I thought that was high.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
165 is great. I think it has to be way over 200 to start causing damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
160-170ish is generally where they run.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am not sure how accurate my gauge is because I run an OBD II bluetooth port with the Torque app but I show about 200 during normal highway driving. Last weekend in western Arkansas on the trail we had some LONG climbs up hills. I showed as high as 225 but the hot oil light never came on.

I re-geared this week from 3.21 (I have HEAVY 35" tires and wheels) to 4.56. I am expecting that will help with trans temp since I won't be kicking down into 3rd at 70 MPH as often now.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
That is high okstatejk-I would question your gauge. Those sound more like coolant temps - are you sure your gauge isn't reading that instead? I have never seen anything over low 170ish even crawling 4lo at over 100 degrees outside temp. Even the few times I wheeled heavy 37s on 4.10 I stayed in the same range.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That is high okstatejk-I would question your gauge. Those sound more like coolant temps - are you sure your gauge isn't reading that instead? I have never seen anything over low 170ish even crawling 4lo at over 100 degrees outside temp.
No, it's trans fluid temp. I watch the coolant temp on the same screen as the trans temp. I also watch air intake temp on that screen. It is probably just not accurate on the trans temp since I think the hot oil light comes on at 220 trans fluid temp and you go into limp mode.

I am guessing my coolant temp and air intake are right though.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
No worries, you're normal.

On occasion I'll hit 185 towing, I've hit 200 wheeling in sand. HOTOIL light comes on around 230-240 I believe.

Also FWIW when the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL, the TCM will substitute the engine temperature for the ATF temperature.

·
Registered
13 Posts

On occasion I'll hit 185 towing, I've hit 200 wheeling in sand. HOTOIL light comes on around 230-240 I believe.

Also FWIW when the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL, the TCM will substitute the engine temperature for the ATF temperature.
I have noticed this too. Thanks for the explination! Will be towing a pop up about 400 miles tomorrow! On my way from near Austin to Davis Mountains.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The Torque app doesn't have the proper value for the transmission temperature gauge, it's getting it from the wrong place.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Can you tell me which OBD/app. you are using? I am having engine temp. Issues and I need to get a gauge on where I am at with engine and tranny fluid temp.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts

I am glad to see this post. While sitting at idle my transmission temps were climbing and I watched until it hit 228 before it started to decline. I was a little worried but wanted to see how high it would go.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts