Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my transmission has been making some noise and not shifting smooth. When I put it into gear I hear this rubbing metal sound. The shifting is getting hard to put into gear kinda like I'm forcing it and using a lot of force. But the transmission doesn't bang or clunk into gear. Anybody heard of this or any ideas I'm gonna take it in soon but just wondering

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Since all the JK manual transmissions are the same, how many miles are on it? Maybe your clutch is on it's way out. When was the fluid changed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just hit 67k....the clutch still grabs the same and feels the same but I'll check/change the fluid and see what happens

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The book says you dont have to change it unless contaminated with water and iv heard from other jeep people you dont either. Any comments on that??

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The book says you dont have to change it unless contaminated with water and iv heard from other jeep people you dont either. Any comments on that??
It does? My book doesn't indicate that. I would say that those individuals don't know what they're talking about, but it's your JK and your decision to change it or not. This is out of the book for every 30,000 miles:
Change the manual transmission fluid if using your vehicle for any of the following: trailer
towing, snow plowing, heavy loading, taxi, police, delivery service (commercial service),
off-road, desert operation or more than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds
during hot weather, above 90°F (32°C).

At the very least what's in bold applies, if nothing else. Mix in some off road and stop and go traffic, short trips, etc., and it should be changed. If you don't think it should be changed that's up to you. Mine gets changed every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
784 Posts
New clutch in mine at 60k. Though mines had a rough life. Also ended up doing the slave and master cylinders at the same time. Fluids, I dont think are going to fix it, but keep the fingers crossed. About time anyway. Throw out bearings are known to be a weak point. They usually make noise clutch pedal out, though. If you need a clutch, I'd recommend a National TOB. Much better part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts