Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok 2015JK 6 speed manual. I think I know, but I want to ask anyway.

Looks like I need 80W-90 gear oil for the front and rear axel. Now I have the trac-loc rear end. Traction control. Does that need the friction modifier? Can't seem to find a no brainer answer.

Also the transmission. Is it only 2 quarts? That is what It looks like the right answer is.

I have only been a Jeep owner for 2 months now so I am still learning about them. Please be patient. lol Until I bought it this jeep has sat most of its life. It only had 301 miles on it when I got it. Now 1900.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
From the manual:
226 RBI (Model 44)​
– We recommend you use MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE

80W-90) (API GL-5) or equivalent. For trailer towing, use MOPAR Synthetic Gear &​
Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140). Models equipped with Trac-Lok require an additive.

Some gear oils already have the additive in it, I believe they are marked as Limited Slip gear oil.

Can't help with the trans fluid though.

A 1900 mile 2015? DAMN!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I caught a pretty good deal. An old couple bought it. Put just over 200 miles on it and it was too rough for them. Dropped it off at the dealership and left it until the new car they ordered arrived. Still has the new car smell. lol

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I am just being over cautious on what I do since I read on here about the issues some people have with warranty work. I am one to do all the work myself if possible.

I have also emailed the Dealership so I have written documentation that they told me to use XXXX.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Wow. They did not know what they really had. Too rough, geez. I think my 2015 Sahara is the best road vehicle I have ever owned. What did they want a marshmallow?

You are way, way, way too early to worry about servicing the axle, transmission and transfer case (don't forget about that). According to the PDF version of the owners manual I downloaded, you inspect the transfer case fluid at 30K and then 90K miles. This basically is to remove the filler cap, stick you finger in and see if it is full, and looks and smells good. If it is dirty or has a strange smell, then change it.

The manual says nothing about the axle and transmission fluids in normal service. But for adverse driving (towing, lot of miles in extreme temp, etc) you then change the transmission fluid at 30K miles, the axle fluids at 40K miles and transfer case fluid at 60K miles.

I would say that with normal use change them all at 50K would be more than adequate. That was the mileage to change in all my Dodges with Dana 44s, and the fluids are more capable these days.

I recently had the clutch replaced on my TJ and while it was out, I had them change the fluids. I don't know if they had ever been changed and it had 119K miles on it. The axle fluids had been changed at 70K and I plan the have them done at 140K.

Here is a link to down load the manuals:
Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep

I have found that easier to use than the DVD. If you desire, I think you can even load it onto your phone. I know you can load a pdf onto a Kindle if you have one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I see the service intervals, but I like to have my information gathered before I need it. lol I am one of those guys that likes to make sure the preventative gets done and done on schedule. Especially for the warranty.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Yeah I am one of those guys that likes to make sure the preventative gets done and done on schedule. Especially for the warranty.
Which is why I let the dealer do those items. Not only does it then show up on their computer, but it also then shows up in the CarFax reports. Besides, the first two years (4 intervals) of oil/filter change is done for free by my dealer. He used to do lifetime free oil changes, but that got too expensive. He was glad to see me sell my 2500 Dodge with the Cummins after 8 years. It took three gallons of oil per change and an expensive filter. Over the years I had it, that was easy $1000 worth of oil changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts