Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Jeep Wrangler (YJ).
As I got it from Copart after rollover - the tranfer case (231 AMC) got craked in the middle. Did a couple researches and find out that it's pretty hard to find them for a acceptable price. I went through a couple of sites to find out what options do I have to swap it with and... still confused.
Any links to the understandable sources, any adequate advices, any reasonable offers or even just a friendly jokes would be appreciated here)))
P.S.: I got 4.2 L6 engine and AX15 transmission (I believe). Can will consider a tranny swap, if that would be an upgrade.
P.P.S.: that's the one I'm working on:
Paid $2048 total for it with all the fees, if interesting.

·
Retired Moderator
102,503 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Super Moderator
13,331 Posts
A Cherokee transfer case could work. Most Cherokees are automatic. I don't know if there's a difference between automatic TCs and standard shift TCs. The cases are the same but the spline count and TC input shaft length may be different. I also don't know what years will be an exact swap. I see NP231J transfer cases on Denver Craigslist from time to time in the $200.00-$300.00 range. I have a '95 Cherokee TC that I'm planning to install along with an AX15 transmission out of the same vehicle.
Your best bet might be simply buy a case half and put the guts from the broken TC into it. That way if there's any other damage or worn parts, you can address it all at that time and have a TC that you won't have to worry about for a long time.

An AX 15 transmission is probably the best standard trans that you'll find for out Jeeps. I don't think there's a reasonable upgrade.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
NP231 transfer cases should be cheap i think Dodge versions should work too but im not 100% sure on that. Over the years the output tokes changed and some were longer than others. For example i think TJ's had a longer output shaft than YJ's. But most the parts are easily swapped around and share parts with the other NP transfer cases as well. The last NP231 i sold i put on craigs list for $75.

I think Chevy versions of the NP231 used a 5 bolt pattern while Jeep and dodge used 6. But chevy internals will swap into the jeep/dodge cases. The only thing you need to be careful about is the planetary gear cut because it changed in 1994. So don't put a 94+ planetary set in a 93 or older case or vice-versa because they will destroy it's self.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts