Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so bare with me. I have had my TJ for a year now and haven't needed any help because I'm quite good with cars, however this is the first 4x4 I've owned. My transfer case sounds like its slipping quite a bit when I have it in both 4H and 4L. I readjusted the 4x4 shiftier correctly and it seems to lock into place where it should in each position but something is still slipping. I think it might be the chain inside the transfer case. Anyone else have this problem? Thoughts, Idea, Comment?

·
Knows a couple things...
50,157 Posts
How many miles are on your TJ? Does the slippage you're feeling happen only in 4Hi or 4Lo?

It could be that the steel drive chain inside the transfer case has stretched enough that is slipping... especially if it has some miles on it. If so, that's not an expensive or difficult repair. It does involve opening up the transfer case but there's not too much to a transfer case... it is nowhere near as complex inside as a transmission is. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only slipping when it's in 4H and 4L so I figured it's coming from the transfer case. I'm just about to hit 80K on my miles. I was figuring it was the chain but I didn't want to split it open or spend the money on a new chain if that wasn't the problem.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If the chain was stretched enough to start skipping teeth you would most certainly hear the chain slapping like crazy on the inside of the case, even in 2wd.

I really doubt your chain is stretched to the point it's skipping teeth...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.