Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an issue with 4H only. When I get the RPM's up it wants to pop out of 4H as if it were slipping out of gear. If I run 4L have no issues what so ever and at times it will stay in 4h if I have run 4L for a period of time no matter what the RPM's are. 2 wheel good also and shifts through pretty easily but when I really start getting some good mud flying in 4H it wants to jump out any suggestions , maybe a linkage thing?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Under your jeep you will find the transmission and tc linkage, basically the trans shifter goes in the top of the transmission, the tc shifter mounts to an adapter on the side of the transmission and you will see a rod attached to that, and the other end to the tc. There should be a lock bolt on that rod on the TC linkage mount and that is used to adjust it.

Another possibility, is if you have a lift, sometimes the hole where the shifters go through to get into the cab need to be massaged; the shifters in effect get out of adjustment and hit the body causing a similar issue. I suspect being only in 4H that this is not the problem, but not something to completely dismiss.

What I do to adjust linkage is put the Jeep into 2H, assuming all the way forward, loosen the bolt, and verify the tc lever is seated or indented properly for the 2H. Then I tighten the bolt, verify each indent again with the shifter making sure each is a positive engagement and not off a little as well as watching to see if any of the linkage/shifter is hitting anything.

Another way to check could be to loosen the bolt, and manually shift into 4H and take a test drive and see if it still pops out. Also checking that it feels "secure" when shifting into each range before taking it out. If 4H feels different in the way it shifts compared to 4L then you may have a problem in the TC.

If that makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.